6mo rooster with 3mo hens???

14chickmama

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Hello!! I have 13 hens and 2 Roos that are 6 mos old. I'm wanting to get rid of my Delaware roo and my uncle wants him but he has 19 barred rock hens that are 3 mos old. My question is there going to be a problem with this, I'm wondering?? Will my rooster kill the hens? He's also pretty big too!! He's bigger than my rir roo. If anyone has any knowledge on this please share!! Thank you!! And another? What do u think my flock will do when I get rid of him? Will my rir roo settle down? They all get along good but I just think 2 Roos are too much for my girls!! Thanks!!

Keep an eye on him as he might try mating with the hens before they are ready and this causes allot of stress for all involved including you as you watch him try to mount the not yet ready hens with feathers flying.....

I have a 6 month old roo in with my little month old and they get along GREAT! They are bantams though so he isnt too terribly big but shes abotu half his size. It really depends on his attitude. My little Roo is soooo sweet! To me and her. He never tries to mount her (maybe because shes to young) and he hardly EVER crows.....

If you Roo is a little "Manly" (If you know what I mean) he may hurt the hens but if he is sweet and layed back there should be no problem at all.
smile.png

Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom