6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

Great news all around.

I've got a side-pip still in the bator. This is Day 23. There's a sizeable hole, I can see the chick moving, but the membrane is turning brownish black... What do?

Sorry for the quality.... I dare not open the bator for fear of shrink wrapping the poor thing (the hole was much smaller when I took the other chick out this morning), but zero progress since then and the membrane discoloration worries me.

Someone remind me to calm down and breathe.

MrsB
I would give it a bit more time. You can try chipping away at the shell with chopstick if there is a vent hole close by. Are there any other eggs with pips?

I would give it a bit more time. You can try chipping away at the shell with chopstick if there is a vent hole close by. Are there any other eggs with pips?

Nay. The only other egg left has been silent despite development. Unsure if a quitter... it doesn't smell. Just quiet. All the others but this little guy have hatched.

There's no vent, either. I just checked again, and it looks like he's made a little progress.

I'll be over here sitting on my hands.....

MrsB

My hatch is complete. I set 16 eggs, 15 hatched! I was super excited that many hatched my first time. DH put a maran egg in the day after I set them and it hatched too.

I've had so much fun doing this HAL! Learned SO much too. Thank you all. :)

I love the tattooed eyeliner (can only be seen when the eye is closed)
I will submit this one as the cutest

Last edited:
Sry been busy & haven't caught back up yet but 1 lonely chick from my 24 set.

I may be in the singleton group as well. I still have two eggs in the incubator, but I'm quickly giving up hope (this is day 22). I will candle and do the water candling tomorrow if I don't see any pips.

I spent the day trying to figure out how to get a buddy or two for him and options seem pretty scarce!

Here is a photo of my little blue chick with his rock-buddy under the ecoglow...

The good news is that he seems to be thriving, already growing. I just wish he had a friend!!

Congratulations!
[/quote
Thank you, and I really appreciate everything you have done to make this so much fun. Really looking forward to Easter, and now I just have to decide what we are going to do with all these chicks.

Do you have a Tractor Supply close? I think they carry some liquid B-12. Our TSC in GA does. I'm not sure if they all do though.

There's one about 30 minutes away. I googled foods high in thiamine. He ate some green peas and the dogs are getting salmon tomorrow, so he can have a little of that along with some egg. It'll have to do for now.

I may be in the singleton group as well. I still have two eggs in the incubator, but I'm quickly giving up hope (this is day 22). I will candle and do the water candling tomorrow if I don't see any pips.

I spent the day trying to figure out how to get a buddy or two for him and options seem pretty scarce!

Here is a photo of my little blue chick with his rock-buddy under the ecoglow...

The good news is that he seems to be thriving, already growing. I just wish he had a friend!!
My gal is now hanging fine on her own. Split a pair of fuzzy gloves up, stuffed one with warm paper towels and put it in with the chick as a buddy. Then I put the other one on when a get her out of her box house to let her hang out with me. She is so well adjusted, active, but does not cry out any more. Waits for me to pick her up & hang.

Back
Top Bottom