7-week chick suddenly stopped moving this morning

Songster
Aug 30, 2022
Chesterfield, VA
We didn't notice anybody being lethargic yesterday, and everyone piled into the brooder as usual before dusk. We have twenty 7-week old Orps and nine 12-week old Wyandottes that kick the leaves in a small space in our yard (50'x20') and file into the outdoor brooder nightly. When they are ready to settle in, they literally pile on each other. There is PLENTY of space (8x4') for each of them (and other sources of heat), but this is what they choose to do, and the all seem happy with it.

As they filed out, this one was left. She does not move. She will raise her head when SHE is being moved. Occasionally she pecks at the blanket...it's like 2-3 seconds, and then lays head down. She also wags her tail slowly back and forth for about 10 seconds about once evert 10 min. We are giving her water with electrolytes by dropper every hour; she opens her eyes for that and swallows. She has kept most down, but one whole hour after the second set of water drops, she opened her beak and a decent amount of water came out. It's been 3 hours since, so I think the rest is staying down now.

Her crop feels empty...I have never had to feel one before but I feel neck bone in the front and nothing else. Her vent is pinkish and she has had liquidy white evacuation only. Not a lot.

Could this be an injury/result of some sort of asphixiation from the pile on? I feel like all of them are big enough to bust their way out if they can't breath, but I don't see why it couldn't happen during sleep. Could something be broken? Neck does move, but back? I have gently palpated her spine, ribs, wings and legs with no reaction, and even if it was something broken, would she be so lifeless? 0E0AC5EF-92BD-4E78-B7F0-78E7E737D42B.jpeg
7A990016-3624-4571-A473-E484FE56FD24.jpeg
76393031-28C8-4530-A27E-05C5C0D102BB.jpeg

Never mind. She just convulsed and died in my hands. I had turned her over to the other side and it was only a little longer.

Turns out her crop was filled with water and I think she drowned when I turned her over. :(. Very sad. Any ideas what caused this?

Piling is dangerous for birds with feathers they over heat and become unable to move. Heat related issues will be prevalent that will kill a bird. There old enough to roost, get them trained to use it and provide room.

Piling is dangerous for birds with feathers they over heat and become unable to move. Heat related issues will be prevalent that will kill a bird. There old enough to roost, get them trained to use it and provide room.
They have places they can get up just none of them do.

I'm so sorry... She was a lovely bird...

My guess is that there was something internal going on with her causing her crop to become impacted. It could be anything, really: "birth" defect, blockage, worms, infection, disease. The only way to know for sure is by having her necropsied.

I agree. I realize they didn't really spend much time in there, but it does seem small. My old 8' x 4' coop only housed 5, and that was about right.
Yes I agree. I hope the coop will be done in two weeks. But yes, they are out all day, every day. They have plenty of room to spread out at night if they want but they don’t.

Back
Top Bottom