7 week chicks getting sick

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So i have a flock of ko shamos that seem to be getting unwell. I have lost one chick at the 7 week mark and second chick now seems to be struggling.

In total i have 4 chicks, 2 male, 2 female.

Initially few days back i noticed one female had a few peck marks at the back of her head. I also noticed she was in the corner with her eyes closed. I isolater her and put her on a paper towel to examine any droppings.

Her droppings looked normal but had alot of mucus. I suspected cocodiosis and started harkers coxoid (amprolium hydrochloride). She perked up 24 hours after treatment and behaved completly normal. Poops looked all normal as well. Treatment was going to but 48 hours after treatment started she was found dead.

Now both males are behaving like they have something stuck in their crop. They are active and normal but seem to keep gasping for air after every few seconds.

What could be the issue ? I have Amprollium, and also have 2 types of antibiotics that i can administer:

Tylofurcin (tylosin+ erythromycin+furaltadone)

Tylodox (tylosin + doxicycline)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited:
They have not been wormed, no new birds or mucus in nose that i can tell. Do you think they have worms at such a young age ? They only eat chick crumb and are on wood shavings mostly. Dont free range.

Back
Top Bottom