7 week old chick getting dizzy and falling down for only some moments.

kuki mom

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
I have silkie mixes at 7-8 weeks old, they might have some sort of bacteria like MG but only one has shown symptoms so he was isolated and treated, now re-integrating into the flock (they all grew up together). Sometimes I've seen a few of them get dizzy after shaking their heads, slower movement tilting to one side and quickly picking it back up multiple times and getting normal again. And this happens only sometimes and it goes away and they seem all healthy again. But this morning I found the water got knocked down from a platform it was on (they haven't figured out the nipple system, I'm thinking now to change to cup system, because the standard waterer keeps getting dirty), and the smaller and weaker chick, who never showed any symptoms before, got excited to see me and shook his head but got so dizzy it was falling down and seemed to stiffen up even, like he was having a seizure or something. I gave them water immediately, took him out and observed. Since he drank water and ate some food he became completely normal again. Has anyone experienced this with older chicks? I wonder if it was dehydration or maybe it was a little cold as well, I had AC on in another room and left the door open because it's extremely hot here.
Now they are playing outside and nobody is showing any weird symptoms.

Could be the start of wry neck. I would try adding some poultry vitamins, especially the b vitamins. @Eggcessive can help more with what exactly to use. Also check them over well for external parasites. I personally wouldn't use nipples on young chicks. You don't want them to not drink enough.

I would use Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give them 2 drops daily for a couple of days. Those have B vitamins and vitamin E with selenium, all good for wry neck or neurological signs. I agree that I would use a regular waterer. Raise the waterers to shoulder height onnboards to help prevent spills. Invest in a gallon waterer and keep it full, since that is harder to spill. Hopefully, they are just a bit dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom