7 week old Welsumer dropped dead suddenly, no symptoms, help!

marnold

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
I have or had 2 Welsumers and 2 Buff Orpingtons that were doing great. They have been in their coop for about 2 weeks. I live in New Orleans, LA. Everything has been going great. When I went out to check on them this afternoon, one of the Welsumers was dead, face down in the run. No signs of being sick. She was perfectly fine this morning. No one else seems sick. I am concerned that I missed something or am missing something. No signs of injury. Any ideas on what I should look for? My coop does not get a lot of direct sun. It rained yesterday but they are well sheltered. They have been enjoying their new perches inside the house. Any ideas why this happened? I am worried about the rest of the girls. thanks.

That is very odd. I've actually had the same thing happen to my Rhode Island Red cockerel, Zuko, a couple years ago.

And I agree with easttxchick.

She was 7 weeks old. Are there signs and symptoms for heat being too much for them? Don't they open their beaks partially and pant? And hold their wings away from their bodies? None of these were seen. And would I need to worry about the other three if it was heat? They seem to be fine. It has been hot but they have ample water and lots of shade and it has been cloudy a lot and rained the day before she died so I would say the weather has been improved shortly before this happened.

Back
Top Bottom