7 week old Welsummer pullets(?) fighting

winkyfaye

Chirping
Feb 8, 2016
Robbinsville, NC
I have two 7 week old Welsummer pullets (?) that have started to have short fights. Hackles flared and feet out. Is this something normal as they are growing or is it a sign that they may actually be roosters. These fights are very short and then they just go back to scratching side by side as if nothing happened. If and what should I do about it. They both are developing a comb and one has wattles already.

Thank you Grub Digger. That is what I was hoping it was. The old Ladies we got in January have little spats but not with hackles out and feet flying, so was not sure what was going on. It is funny,
there are two other 7 week olds, a silver and a gold laced Wyandotte in the same enclosure and they do not involve them in the mix. Or at least yet. I picked these guys up at 6 weeks of age when the others (3 day olds) in my order came in because I had to travel about 60 miles one way to get them. I am sorry that I did it that way as I have missed the chance to get them accustomed to us and being handled. I will not do that again. Live and Learn.

Again, Thank you Grub Digger.

You can sex Welsummers by color pattern. Do your chicks have a salmon chest? They are pullets.If they have black chests then they are cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom