Lauryn229

Songster
6 Years
Apr 12, 2017
South Florida
Bumble Bee is my 3 year old Barred Rock who has been the sole member of the flock for the last 2 years.

D16C6F38-AF76-4801-89D9-DDF14556CBB5.jpeg

She gets along with the dogs and cats by letting them know she’s the boss. She rules the backyard! She is extremely loving with a huge personality and always wants our attention. So, our consideration process of adding to the flock began...

Baby Easter Eggers just happened to be available from a local feed store, so we adopted two pullets: Millie and Greta.

90FF891F-FB2F-4E06-878C-2DB070B23AEE.jpeg

This presented two problems: 1- Bumble Bee might be very difficult to integrate (see below her pecking the window at the chicks cage) and 2- more chickens means more holes in the yard.

7842829F-0D3F-4660-A63A-B9AAC26BA115.jpeg

We realized the importance of separating the babies from her while they grow. She “free ranges” the yard every day and has a beautiful coop all to herself.

1ADDF878-32A1-4BA0-8EDF-6AAD1E925CD4.jpeg

While looking around the backyard for the safest place, we noticed that underneath the trampoline is perfect! Here’s the final outcome:

D416E565-799E-4417-9A4F-57478A11EE1C.jpeg

There is partial sunlight all day, protection from predators from above, the yard underneath is already ruined so who cares if they dig it up more, and the base is sturdy.

How to assemble:

We purchased Blue Hawk brand Poultry Green HDPE Extruded Mesh Rolled Fencing from Lowe’s for $50. It is very strong plastic in the shape and size of typical chicken wire.

2577A84C-A7FE-4C6E-84AD-C95DBCA969DB.jpeg

We wrapped it around the base and secured it with zip ties to the metal (see above image with Bumble Bee safe inside). We put stakes in the ground through the fencing in the spots where there was no metal base. See below silver rectangular piece is the top of the metal stake.

2ED78909-66D5-4C24-9899-D220CC8E2A3F.jpeg

For the door, we left three feet of extra fencing to overlap and added a 1x2 piece of wood on the edge to keep it sturdy.

B2E44A5E-908A-44AA-9C4B-614BF4A0B468.jpeg

Then we added small bungee cords to the end so we can easily latch the “door”.

E45D316D-4F8A-40A6-BCB9-A2C50045DFF2.jpeg

When Millie and Greta turned 4 weeks old they were ready for to play in a safe, outdoor, secure pen and introduce them to Bumble Bee through the safety of a fence.
E2AAA521-E06C-4A32-ACAA-601EE0926F56.jpeg

Not including the cost of the trampoline (15’ for $270 on Amazon), this was a wonderful and extremely inexpensive solution to our backyard chicken dilemma. Hardly any cleaning is needed and Most importantly, all three of the girls Love it!!

A4E28826-54EC-4FDF-B7D1-D3CA4161310E.jpeg

New house rules: of course, no jumping on the trampoline while the chickens are underneath!

Is this a permanent thing, or temporary? I wouldn’t consider it secure for the long term, with plastic and no wire skirting. I’m also going to be making a run out of a trampoline this spring, but I will be using it in halves, on its side to build a wire half cylinder, with skirting and a chicken tunnel between the existing run and the new.

Is this a permanent thing, or temporary? I wouldn’t consider it secure for the long term, with plastic and no wire skirting. I’m also going to be making a run out of a trampoline this spring, but I will be using it in halves, on its side to build a wire half cylinder, with skirting and a chicken tunnel between the existing run and the new.
That sounds great! Please post pictures when you complete it! I would love to see it. We use this for day time for them to play under. It is still a usable trampoline. they have a separate coop to sleep in at night that is safer from Night predators.

So the older bird is in this 'run' with the youngers and all is well?
Have they all been in the coop together yet?

That sounds great! Please post pictures when you complete it! I would love to see it. We use this for day time for them to play under. It is still a usable trampoline. they have a separate coop to sleep in at night that is safer from Night predators.

It will look similar to this, but I'm going to set it beside my existing run and make a tunnel, either out of wood frame and wire or tubing, to connect the two.
Capture.JPG

Very cool! Thank you for sharing!

Wow, I never did show you my finished extension. I didn't realize. Sorry about that.

I didn't end up with the run on its side. I had the trampoline frame upright, but lifted the height so that I can stand upright in it. It's now open to my whole flock, but originally I put my youngest members in it until I had them integrated with the rest. In these pics I was using it as a play pen for the youngsters until I got a door on it, which I made out of PVC and had to rig hinges. Its not the best door, I need to figure out how to improve it. I did end up building a wood frame and covering it with wire to connect the two runs.
Resized_20180505_155614.jpeg

Resized_20180505_160127.jpeg

Wow, I never did show you my finished extension. I didn't realize. Sorry about that.

I didn't end up with the run on its side. I had the trampoline frame upright, but lifted the height so that I can stand upright in it. It's now open to my whole flock, but originally I put my youngest members in it until I had them integrated with the rest. In these pics I was using it as a play pen for the youngsters until I got a door on it, which I made out of PVC and had to rig hinges. Its not the best door, I need to figure out how to improve it. I did end up building a wood frame and covering it with wire to connect the two runs.
View attachment 1648274
View attachment 1648272
This came out great!! I bet they love it!! Ours has worked wonderfully. We added more to it and a nest for eggs. Yours looks awesome. Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom