8 days until hatch and possible pip?!

asmiles1

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2023
I have 8 days until hatch for 12 eggs and I was taking a peak at then today and noticed one has a little pip in it! I am not sure what to do, this isn’t my 4th set of incubated eggs and this has never happened. I don’t think this is normal! What should I do?

I’m not sure how much I can help you on this but I just couldn’t bear to see this thread unanswered.
What kind of eggs are they?
Were they in a room warm enough before incubating to possibly start forming?
Do you see a little beak and hear cheeping?

There isn't anything you can really do but wait and if it hatches, see if others are pipping too. If so, leave it in. If not, get it out as it can't live in there for 7 days.

I had one hatch on day 18, but that was a silkie.

Are you sure you're counting the days right? I took I swear 5 times to finally figure out you only count the day you set if you do it in the morning, otherwise, don't.

There isn't anything you can really do but wait and if it hatches, see if others are pipping too. If so, leave it in. If not, get it out as it can't live in there for 7 days.

I had one hatch on day 18, but that was a silkie.

Are you sure you're counting the days right? I took I swear 5 times to finally figure out you only count the day you set if you do it in the morning, otherwise, don't.
I didn’t know that but I did adjust timing by hours-counting a full day after set day as day 1. Thanks for the tip! It’s true that high ambient temperatures can cause early development and even faster development. Mine hatched early- all of them, no issues!

I have 8 days until hatch for 12 eggs and I was taking a peak at then today and noticed one has a little pip in it! I am not sure what to do, this isn’t my 4th set of incubated eggs and this has never happened. I don’t think this is normal! What should I do?

Could it be damage from rotation? In what location of the egg is it? What kind of eggs?

An egg does not have a day's worth of development until it has been incubating 24 hours so you should say "1" the day after you start them when counting. But that just tells you when the theoretical number of days are up. Whether Chicken, Quail, Turkey, or Emu it is not unusual for eggs to hatch a day or two early or a day or two late. Counting days just puts you in the ballpark. Since you've hatched few times you probably know all of this.

Regardless of what type of eggs those are they are not going to hatch a full week early. The only way that could be from a chick developing and getting ready to hatch is that incubation started early. Where did you get the eggs? Is there any chance they were incubated some before you set them?

As CSKA asked, could that be some type of physical damage. Maybe from turning the eggs (by hand or auto turner) or when candling?

I didn’t know that but I did adjust timing by hours-counting a full day after set day as day 1. Thanks for the tip! It’s true that high ambient temperatures can cause early development and even faster development. Mine hatched early- all of them, no issues!
Yes, but mine were all at 99.5F the whole time, and only one chose to hatch Day 18, and the rest the 20/21. With silkies, it depends which ones as some sites will tell you 19 days and others 21. I just lock down 5 days ahead instead of 3, as even with my own, time and time again, one of them will pip early and once a whole batch hatched the 20th day.

This is out of probably 2-dozen hatches.

Back
Top Bottom