8 month old Barred acting strange

AzShann

Hatching
Jun 25, 2022
I have a flock of 11. 5 of them are 8 months and six are about 4 months. Everyone gets along. They have a very large run and coop along with free range
Two of my barrels have stopped laying for nearly 3 weeks. I assume just due to winter
One of them, Lily, had a lot of feathers taken from her behind from an unruly Rhode Island we ended up rehiring about 2 weeks ago. The feathers have been gone for nearly 2 months with little RE growth
For nearly 3 weeks, Lily has been acting very strange. Sleeping most of the day and very little activity Seems to be eating and drinking fine though. Her flock mate, Jackie, often finds her and lays close to her for awhile as if she knows something is wrong. Poop looks fine and we have checked for mites
Is this normal behavior or should I be concerned? Is there something more I should be doing or watching for? She hasn’t lost any weight. She’s just tired all the time with a pale shriveled comb. No eggs in almost three weeks

Yes but slowly and they are very thick. Her bottom is red and maybe irritated. I did put some hen healer on her and isolated her for a couple days so the other girls didn’t peck at her

Yes but slowly and they are very thick. Her bottom is red and maybe irritated. I did put some hen healer on her and isolated her for a couple days so the other girls didn’t peck at her
She could be getting picked. It could be brought on by high quarters, lack of protein, boredom or chickens being jerks.
Switch to a high protein feed to help them grow in.

Back
Top Bottom