8 week blue orpington chick

7th heaven

Hatching
Jun 28, 2015
Hey everyone,
Im having an issue with one of our chicks. Eyeore is one of our newest chicks. We have had him for almost 8 weeks, he still has his down, very few feathers and peeps constantly all day. we ordered 17 other chicks with him so i don't think its because he is lonely. He is also is about half the size of the other chicks. He is eating constantly and gets plenty of water so this kinda has me stumped. anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry to hear about Eyeore!
hugs.gif
Does he have pasty butt by any chance? Check his vent for caked, dry droppings. Clean them using warm water and gloves. Then apply some coconut oil to it. My chick had it and would peep constantly. She also was smaller than the other chicks.

no he doesn't have pastybutt he is all covered in down and feathers on his wings he has been wormed and seems healthy but for the feathers and peeping

1. I would check the brooder thoroughly for bloody stool- consistency of strawberry jam. (Gross, but accurate)

2. Make sure you are using MEDICATED feed.

3. Offer another variety of feed in addition to your current feed. (Do not mix feeds)

4. Provide Fine #1 Grit. Blockages can occur anywhere from Beak to Butt, make sure non-crumble items get ground up. Digesting wood shavings etc is easier if the crop does some gritwork first.

If youre truly concerned, none of the these options can do any harm, and one may just fix the issue!

Because Eeyore is smaller than the others and still covered with down, he may need more warmth in the brooder, or maybe needs to be in a brooder - depending on age and climate. Is it possible he is an bantam chick? Have you noticed that he grows at all - or does he seem to be unchanged?

he is growing he gets medicated feed along with some all organic feed we feed our older chickens.he hasn't been in the brooder in about 3 weeks. at 8 weeks the other chicks we got with him the blue morns, buffs, and the sussex are about the same size or bigger than our bantams. Also being here in north east tennessee temps are rather warm. I'm starting to think he might be one of those chicks that fail to develop. just trying to figure it out so i can address the issue properly

Back
Top Bottom