8 week old chick can’t stand: no balance, falls back on hocks

tanner17567

Songster
Feb 20, 2016
Montpelier, Va
My Coop
My Coop
I have an 8 week old EE chick that I found yesterday morning laying down just outside of the coop. I first thought injury, but ruled that out after finding no wounds.

Took her inside and examined her all over and observed her and signs pointed to possible slipped tendon, botulism or neurological issues. I *think* I’ve ruled out slipped tendon, unless she has two and I can’t feel the tendon, which is always possible, but for some reason, my gut just doesn’t think that’s it.

Her biggest symptoms right now are loss of balance and falling backward, sitting straight on her bum (vent) and hocks, keeping herself right using her wings. She’ll try to use her legs, and this propells her backwards, kind of in a circle.

Any ideas? Neurological? Toxin? I’ve started her on B vitamins and electrolytes (Rooster Booster brand with vitamins and probiotics) and I do have Corrid, which I considered starting her on, but didn’t thing they symptoms matched cocci. But I’m willing to try of course.

Her appetite is just fine, she’s eating, drinking and pooping like normal. Here is a pic of her in her sling. She gets a few breaks a day, when put her on a towel in the bathtub. Please see link below for a video, and additional comment below for more info regarding her two legs, and a popping sound with one when it is manipulated.

Attachments

• BA360C08-0EA3-40AD-9106-4E17055C6E3B.jpeg
    BA360C08-0EA3-40AD-9106-4E17055C6E3B.jpeg
    590.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
image.jpg

She’s a cute lil thing! Anyway, the closer leg is acting “normal” and she has strength in it. When I put my hand under this leg I feel resistance and it acts normal: she’ll grab my finger with it and wrap her toes around.

The other leg, which is sticking out a little further, is relatively limp. She doesn’t use it at all, but it will still reflex correctly, curling toes when brought up to her belly, and when extended and I touch the back of her hock it will “bop” like your knee reflex does.

When I extend this leg I hear a “pop” as it is manipulated. I am just rotating it front to back in its normal motion, but it will pop every time. I’m guessing that’s a clue to it being a physical issue and not a neurological one, but who knows. I’m kinda thinking it’s a vitamin b issue, but would still love to hear from others if they happen to have experience with this before.

Last edited:
So, she’s gaining strength in her weak leg and can move it some now. She’s getting tired of being contained for sure! But today I found out that popping sound was a ruptured air sac! She felt like a balloon!

I got a 20g needle, but didn’t attach it to a syringe, inserted it and pressed gently to release the built up air. She’s looking much better now, and even tried to fly out of the coop. The air was only on the side of the limp leg, so I’m wondering if it’s connected? But if it were a straight injury I wouldn’t expect the loss of balance.

Either way, she is improving. So that’s a good sign and I will continue the vitamin B and see what happens.

Thank you. She’s not out if the woods yet though. Have you seen anything like this? Does it look as though I’m on the right track? And do you have any idea how long before she fully recovers?

sorry for all the questions, just looking to see if I’m on the right track!

Thank you. She’s not out if the woods yet though. Have you seen anything like this? Does it look as though I’m on the right track? And do you have any idea how long before she fully recovers?

sorry for all the questions, just looking to see if I’m on the right track!

No, I haven't. Maybe @Ridgerunner might know something about it.

Back
Top Bottom