8 week old Golden Laced Wyandotte... when will I know for sure?

LisaChick1

Songster
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Carmel Valley
new pics... any help? Obvious comb and waddle but lacing and feathering has me confused still... this chick is very frustrating

I"m thinking rooster. Even for a straight comb that's a lot of color. Agree the lacing doesn't look hugely male, but that may sort itself out in a month or so.

Aww shoot, that's what I was thinking. He/she is such a nice chick... I've never had a rooster. Anybody have experience with golden laced Wyandote Roos and their temperament around children I've heard they can be pretty passive and nice.
Also, is there benefits and or drawbacks to having a rooster when the goal of having our chickens is to get eggs?
I know they will become fertile rather quickly and to collect the eggs quick, but if that's done, are the eyes perfectly good desirable eggs when the roosters near?

Thanks!! Sorry... New to all this.

Oh, and how sure are we on rooster? It's the most curious of my entire flock and very social. :) little cutie

looks like a roo to me. it doesnt matter so much how quickly you collect the eggs, they will be fertile or not once the hen lays it. as for being good eggs, you cant tell the difference in fertile vs non other than the donut spot... it doesnt effect the taste or anything.

I have two roosters with our main flock, as long as the hen does not sit on the eggs, try to collect them within say 0 to 4 days. Roosters make no difference in the taste or health of our eggs.
If a hen starts to sit on your eggs, make sure to collect them within 2 days or they may start to grow. I have a silver laced hen, shes kind of shy, but loves to eat from our hands or the food scoop.
As for whether its a hen or rooster, looks rooster like to me, but we bought six pullets, in which we sold 5, but 2 of them had larger combs than the others. I think they are beautiful birds once grown, but ours was a bit of a piggy for a while.

He should have a rosecomb, but dont matter if you dont show them.

Back
Top Bottom