8 week old Roo walking stiff

chiknlittl

Chirping
Jun 14, 2016
Central Florida
Hi friends, I have an 8 week old Welsummer (80% sure he's a Rooster now) who this morning started walking stiffly and sits alot more frequently. My 5 other 8 week old hens are fine and my year olds are fine also. They are all free range. I've read some other posts and don't like what I see about Mareks disease. All my chicks came from Rural King so they are hatchery chicks. I sure appreciate any guidance as to helping Wilbur and keeping the rest of the flock safe from anything contagious. Thank you!

I had a 3wk old chick that suddenly couldn't walk, off balance & toes curled. Suggested was slipped tendon, splayed leg, curly toe paralysis & riboflavin deficiency. The only one that seemed to fit was CTP/riboflavin deficiency so I taped his toes straight & as suggested gave him 3 drops of the children's PolyVisol vitamins minus the iron, mixed boiled egg yolk in his feed, kept him on a carpeted (traction) flooring. Seemed like forever but it was about 2wks, he's walking (funny gait) but doing great.

Others with more experience will be peeping in so hang in there and don't give up.

Before
After, that's him looking in at the rest of the brood. Separated him from the rest to prevent trampling.

Here's my Wilbur standing and sitting...

Back
Top Bottom