8 week rejection/ sleeping arrangements

BeanieBoo

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
We have 3 8-week old chicks, who were hatched and raised by one of our hens (they weren’t her eggs, but she did brilliant with them).
We have our girls free range most of the time, and Mum has had the chicks out with the rest of the flock (which is just 2 other grown up hens) from 2 weeks. So until now they’ve been doing great.
The last two days, Mum has started rejecting her chicks (we I guess is normally at 8 weeks), but particular the one who is rooster….
Up till now, the chicks plus mum have slept in one Omlet coop, and the two big girls in the other… last night, no one would let the rooster chick in and kept chasing him away, so he slept on the perch (in the enclosed run) overnight…
What’s the best plan for him? Should I try to get mum to go back with the big girls, so the 3 young ones can sleep together? Or shall I just keep him out on his own? Sadly, Mum is the one who is chasing him away the most…

Try to get mum to bunk with the other adults. Our momma hen rejected her 8 week old chicks this week and went back to our main flock coop; her babies carried on sleeping in the broody coop without her and they seem perfectly content.

I have a similar situation at the moment. My ex-broodies won’t let the chicks com inside the coop setup (a setup with a small coop, small covered run and an extension with a larger coop).

Its great you have two coops and if you can make the mama sleep with the other hens.
.:caf Curious if someone has even better ideas.

We have 3 8-week old chicks, who were hatched and raised by one of our hens (they weren’t her eggs, but she did brilliant with them).
We have our girls free range most of the time, and Mum has had the chicks out with the rest of the flock (which is just 2 other grown up hens) from 2 weeks. So until now they’ve been doing great.
The last two days, Mum has started rejecting her chicks (we I guess is normally at 8 weeks), but particular the one who is rooster….
Up till now, the chicks plus mum have slept in one Omlet coop, and the two big girls in the other… last night, no one would let the rooster chick in and kept chasing him away, so he slept on the perch (in the enclosed run) overnight…
What’s the best plan for him? Should I try to get mum to go back with the big girls, so the 3 young ones can sleep together? Or shall I just keep him out on his own? Sadly, Mum is the one who is chasing him away the most…
Physically place mom in the other coop after she goes to roost and put the little roo in with his siblings. After a week or so, they'll do it on their own.

Back
Top Bottom