9 1/2 week old Barred Rock hen or roo?

Fanatic4felines

Chirping
Jul 10, 2023
I have read everything I can on telling the differences for barred rocks. I purchased mine from a local farmer where I saw the parents. They are not the typical barred rocks as the roo was above my knee but not mid thigh. Mom was just below my knee. Where he got them from had them as bigger birds. His wife does the sexing but did not come out to help as I wanted 3 hens.

Since I had done research on what to look for, I made sure they all had dark legs and the spot did not go down the neck and their overall coloring was darker. 2 were born a couple days before I arrived, 1 a week prior. The older one is confusing me. I will tell you Remi looks like a roo as she/he is lighter and has combs and waddles. Still somewhat dark legs but not as much as the 2 girls. However Remi acts like a hen. Any scared noises she jumps or crawls under all Others to get the farthest corner away. Will hide her head under everyone else. Does not attempt to stand guard like a roo. Does not like being held at all. No crowing. No saddle feathers yet. I lifted feathers to look and nothing.

Both sisters are also getting lighter as they catch up.

I will post pictures next.

Behavior really doesn’t mean much of anything especially at that young age. I’ve had scared cockerels and bold cockerels. I’ve also had cockerels not crow until at least 7 months old and others crow at 8 weeks and successfully mate by 4 months. And gender specific feathering doesn’t come in until at least 12 weeks. But we really need pictures to confirm.

Remi in the sun and in shade. Remi with one of sisters, and the sisters.

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpeg
    IMG_1588.jpeg
    874.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1591.jpeg
    IMG_1591.jpeg
    715.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1596.jpeg
    IMG_1596.jpeg
    751.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1589.jpeg
    IMG_1589.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 36
So the fact the Remi acts non roo like is not something to judge by. Ok that makes. But I was hoping it might have been a dominant hen. My other barred rock adult was a dominant hen. She crowed and ruled all even my roo until she became blind. The poor thing.

So the fact the Remi acts non roo like is not something to judge by. Ok that makes. But I was hoping it might have been a dominant hen. My other barred rock adult was a dominant hen. She crowed and ruled all even my roo until she became blind. The poor thing.
Not with that comb size and color at this age. And the lighter feather color. Definitely a male.

Back
Top Bottom