9 year old hen- prolapse

My1stChickens

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2015
Texas, USA
My 9 year old hen laid a few eggs earlier this year, then paused. Yesterday I found a smallish egg that I believe was hers (based on size and color- -I only have one other hen laying, and her eggs are larger) There was also a soft shell egg in the laying box. Fast forward to this evening, when I was feeding scratch grains/treats. The others came running, but she was slow to come in and disinterested in treats, instead she went to the free choice calcium. I checked again in 30 minutes, and she was up on the roost, having put herself to bed quite early. Comb seemed extra red, and she was a little puffy. Decided to isolate her, and wash her messy butt. That's when I saw her vent enlarged, sort of "open" and brighter red in the middle. It was pulsing, and she was expelling some clear liquid.

I did soak and clean her entire vent area, wrapped in a towel and put her in the hospital cage. provided water and some scrambled egg, blueberries. She ate a little then rested. An hour or so later I heard a racket-- she was puffed up and vocalizing and seemed to be pushing? I figured she was going to die on me. Left to google more help on prolapse.... Returned with preparation H and she had laid an egg. It has a thin shell, no color (she lays turquoise eggs) and she was pecking at it, eating. The food bowl was empty- she's eaten a whole egg plus maybe 10 blue berries. I took the egg away, and scrambled it for her. While it cooled, I soaked her butt again, then applied quite a bit of preparation H. She was bright, wanted to eat more, looked SO MUCH better.

Obviously she needs supportive treatment. But I've not had a prolapse before. Please advise? I've seen bathe/soak and don't bathe/soak. Preparation H? antibiotic ointment? Limit hours of light so she won't lay? (what 9 year old hen lays anyway??? and it appears she may have had eggs backed up, because maybe it's 3 in 2 days?)

What can I do for her, and how long does recovery usually take? THANK YOU in advance for guidance. She's special to me, and I want to do right by her.

I've found some previous posts with great information-- have just ordered calcium citrate with D3, more preparation H, and triple antibiotic cream. thank goodness for amazon 1 day delivery.... She is standing quietly in the dark. She ate up that second egg- evidently that old lady was HUNGRY

This morning she seems pretty good. Butt was messy, there was one largish but very wet (ie flat) dark green poop with some white (urate?) spots. Did a quick wash/soak-- she is strong enough to fight that. Applied prep H and coconut oil. Nothing is protruding, it just seems the vent remains open to a diameter of almost an inch. She did not eat her blueberries overnight. Replaced her polyvisol water with sugar water, added more scrambled egg, meal worms, and a couple diced grapes to the food bowl. When I feed the chickens I will bring back some of her layer pellet. She has some oyster shell available, til the calcium citrate pills arrive later today.

from reading more threads I think she's not a full prolapse, but clearly something was and still is "not right" so planning to keep her isolated, clean, keep the area moist. I will see if I can get a friend to come help so I can just clip away some of the feathers on her butt to make the clean part easier.

If I'm missing anything please tell me? (@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive in case you are able to weigh in)

Well, I'm starting to wonder if she really was prolapsed or not. Nothing ever poked out of her vent it just was enlarged and open-- and pulsing. Her distress coincided with laying a thin shelled egg, and now I wonder if she was just having a tough time pushing an egg out. She seems bright and was eating well. I did get her to eat calcium citrate tablets yesterday and today- I chopped the big old pill into 4 pieces and hid them in grapes. It was touch and go, but she did get them all down.

She went from very watery poo to solids. So today, with mild temps (albeit windy) I returned her to the flock. She was bright, active, glad to see her friends. Will monitor. I hope I did right. I'm glad there were other threads on prolapse, to guide me.

Her distress coincided with laying a thin shelled egg, and now I wonder if she was just having a tough time pushing an egg out.
I think you might be right and a week to 10 days of additional daily calcium +vitamin D tablets should help her building stronger eggshells and having better contractions when laying.

Regarding her rather "relaxed" vent I think one has to take her advanced age into consideration, the loss of tissue elasticity might come into play.

thank you LaFleche for your helpful input. Makes perfect sense that an older chicken might "sag" or not be as tight. She's back with the flock and doing well. I don't really expect her to lay.... last year she laid for a few weeks then went back into retirement. But I will ensure she has calcium just in case

Back
Top Bottom