911 my 4 1/2month old turkey scalped!

Feb 26, 2022
My female four and half month old turkey has been scalped. I got the bleeding stopped and cleaned the wound put a wrap on it. She is currently in a kennel with food water and treats, and a blanket over part of the kennel. What else can I do? She was fine late this afternoon then scalped by 8pm. There seems to not be any skin left to cover her head with. What else can I do for her.

Yes, that's what I'd do with a hormonal cockerel if I really wanted to keep him. Maybe let him try again later and see how he does. Too bad you don't have some older girls to teach him manners. Do you have a friend with an older flock who'd be willing to keep him for a couple of months?

Keep it moist but don't wrap it. I know in chickens, you can clean it by spraying with sterile saline solution twice a day (so you don't have to scrub it), then coat it good with antibiotic ointment. On a chicken we had that got torn by a dog, we then sprayed it good with Veterycin which formed like a gel bandage. We did this twice a day and it healed over in about three weeks.

My female four and half month old turkey has been scalped. I got the bleeding stopped and cleaned the wound put a wrap on it. She is currently in a kennel with food water and treats, and a blanket over part of the kennel. What else can I do? She was fine late this afternoon then scalped by 8pm. There seems to not be any skin left to cover her head with. What else can I do for her.

Should I put antibiotic cream on her head tomorrow and then rewrap? Or leave it uncovered? It's winter here so no flies.
Can you post photos of the wounds?

I would just clean the wound really well, then apply triple antibiotic ointment to keep it moist.
Leave the wound uncovered but do place her where others can't pick at her wound and she can heal without the stress of being bothered with the male.
Watch to see that she's eating/drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom