92caddy's new swans(pics)

Your very welcome Ed, anytime.
wink.png

I really love them, I must get some now lol

They look so graceful. I know you were a little bit worried when they flew, but did you notice if they fly like geese or is it more smoother?

Since the baby is the one getting them in trouble, can you just clip it's wings and leave the momma be? This might calm the baby down and leave the mother to lead the way.

Are you worried about people stealing them out of you yard or just at the sale? I was wondering if you should mark them or band them, so they could be identified later if needed.

IF you have more pics or pics of something else you would like to post let me know.

Um, do you have a permit for those? I dunno how it is in the US, in Canada Mute Swans need a Permit, and have to be pinioned(since we have too many feral ones). Even if kept in netted enclosures they need to be pinioned.......

Oh, and be careful with your other waterfowl, unless you have a huge enclosure and pond mute, trumpeter and tundras have a tendency to kill other waterfowl during breeding season.
Black swans are supposed to be the only ones who can be kept with other fowl, but I know pairs that kill anything in their reach.

Gorgeous Swans tho, I wish I could keep any, but at $1500 a pair I think it ain't gonna happen anytime soon........ also I have no seperate pen with a pond(that pond needs to be 10mx10mx2m, and I already dug my other one by hand to get that darn permit to keep my snowgeese, I wont dig another one).

Baby must be over 2 yrs old, 2 yr olds will still be quite grey with a grey beak and no knob.

Love the Mutes, if I ever get swans they are the ones I am getting, I grew up in germany by a river that had tons of them. The adults were mighty agressive but the yearlings and 2 yr olds were always very friendly and curious, one was literally glued to me, I could hug it and carry it around and it did not mind(I was like 10, that was the awesomest thing ever).
I wish I could of taken it home.

Good luck with your Swans!

Anna

Last edited:
Farmertank.......I was more then worried when they took flight, I almost dirtied my pants, then my heart fell to my feet, then I went to my knees and cryed. Thank God they didnt go too far, but they stopped on the road, so then it was worring that they didnt get hit. I had to think for a min or 2 to see how I was going to get em back home, it took a little time, but I got em back.

I have thought about just clipping baby wings, Im not going to til have too though. I have them in the back end of the barn that has a fenced in area. I put them there this morning and they are doing just fine. I stayed outside alot today to keep an eye on them and when I was in the house I kept looking out the window checking on them.

Im not worried that some one will steal them from here, I was afraid if I left them in the truck during the sale, they might have been stolen.

Fancy...........As far as I know, I dont need a permit to have em, but got me to thinking, I should check into that, but Ive never heard tell of anyone getting or needing or wanting a permit for them.

I would love to find out how old and the sex of baby. The pics Ive seen on line, makes me think that baby is a year or older, Im thinking over cause it is all white, no gray on it what so ever. I can hardly tell them apart. Then it got me to thinking, that if baby is over a year old, then I wonder if momma had a nest started before I got her or if maybe she will start one? And if so, would her eggs be fertile? Cause I dont know how long her mate has been gone. I was told that he mate had died. That would really get me excitied to find her making a nest or even to find an egg.

Thanks to everyone for the kinds words for me and my new babies..................

as for names

you could call the baby(if your sure it a boy) Aden it means little fire.

and the mother you could name Alicia it means Noble kind; of the noble sort.

just a suggestion. unless you already have them named
lol.png

good luck and have fun naming them

Julie

Thanks for the name ideas. I havent thought too much about names yet.

I had a very long day yesterday. When I got up and looked out the window to see the swans, one was paceing the fence and I thought if I dodnt know any better, one is out, so I got out there and sure enough one was out, guess which one, baby. So I tryed to walk baby into the barn, but baby wouldnt go, then baby flew across the road, so I put mom in the corn crib, cause she was getting all worked up and I didnt want her to get out. So then I went and tryed to get baby back across the road, well baby flew off again, only this time baby flew wwaaaayyy out in the field, I thought well now that is just great, what am I going to do, so I decided to just wait and see if baby comes, with mom in the corn crib, they can see and hear each other, so baby should come back. I kept going out side to see if baby was still out there and then I went and took a shower, when I got out of shower, baby was gone, no where to be seen. So I drove up and down the roads looking and watching, nothing for almost all day. So I called the news paper, the radio station, the humane society, some of the neighbors to tell them to watch for baby. Nothing all day. So this morning the neighbors stopped and said they thought they seen baby down the road, so I put momma in a wire cage and put her in the back of the truck and went driving around til I found him. I pull along side of the road, put momma on the ground in her cage behind the truck. They started talking to eachother as soon as they saw eachother, but baby wouldnt come near us. So I walk a long ways around baby and walk baby toward the truck. Once baby got close to mom, they were very happy to see eachother again. Now I think, how am I to catch baby? Baby wont let me get close enough to grab him/it. I thought well thers a rope in the truck, I'll try to lasso baby. After a couple of trys and a few near misses from cars going by, I caught baby. I couldnt believe it, Im still shocked that I caught baby. Both are at home and doing fine.

I wonder what people thought when they drove by, cause there I was along the side of the road, a swan in a cage behind the truck, a swan sitting beside the swan in a cage, a rope running on the ground beside the truck and me laying on the ground half under the truck with rope in hand. Im sure some thought I was nuts or something. I was waiting for the cops to come to see what I was doing.
Not one person stopped to ask what I was doing or if I needed help.

Oh well, its over and done with and they are both safe and sound at home. ........................

I

wow Ed what a day!!
barnie.gif
I bet you were going nuts with worry. I hope baby settles down for you in a week or two. Maybe you should treat them like guineas and leave them in for a few weeks and then only let one(mom) out for a few days. maybe then they will settle better. I'm afraid it sounds like baby needs a wing clipped and a reality check that he's not boss.

gig.gif
now that it's over you do have to admitt that is would have been funny to see you on the side of the road roping a swan. But, I understand the insane things that we will do for our love for our animals. I know there have been times that I will completely embarass myself and my husband for an animal. It just can't be helped lol.

keep us posted sounds like you are going to have some adventures with these two.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom