A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

What will you do about your moisture issues to prevent another loss next winter? Better yet, what did you have in place this winter for ventilation that you feel is not working well enough to disperse the moisture?
pop.gif

My bees didn't make it through the winter. Looks like moisture was the culprit. I may take a break from beekeeping for a season but follow the thread to see what I can figure out. Please continue to share things that worked and didn't work.

That's a shame, Bug....it's heartbreaking when you lose a hive.
hugs.gif
I know a lot of folks don't understand that and say they are just bugs but a lot of dreaming, work and TLC goes into each hive, as well as a lot of passion.

I've been studying up on ventilation for bees and there are many thoughts on it, but as with chickens I will likely err on the side of too much ventilation instead of too little. The bees can always close up what they do not want, but they have a harder time opening up ventilation when they need it in a typical hive. I'm also thinking of fresh air in the bottom, stale air and humidity out the top, just like in my chicken coop...it's not the cold that kills so much as the cold and humid.

Sure Beekissed. I have two of the dogs. Their mom was a Anatolian/Great Pyrenees mix and their dad was a neighbors black lab. Both of the dogs are super good with our chickens and are almost perfect guard dogs. The lab blood makes their mouths very soft, so even if they try to "play" with a chick or duck, they will never hurt them.

Sure Beekissed. I have two of the dogs. Their mom was a Anatolian/Great Pyrenees mix and their dad was a neighbors black lab. Both of the dogs are super good with our chickens and are almost perfect guard dogs. The lab blood makes their mouths very soft, so even if they try to "play" with a chick or duck, they will never hurt them.

I figured that mix would make for some mighty fine dogs but just needed it confirmed. All those breeds have good qualities, but my heart belongs to Labs...always. They always seem to bring something good to a mix whenever they are mixed in.
love.gif

I have been wanting for years to have honey bee hives but, like chicken keeping, it will be years of research and planning before I finally take the plunge
smile.png

There was a hive on our property for many years way up in a cottonwood tree - a true Winnie-the-Pooh scenario! They came to our garden for everything from water to borage blooms to tomato blossoms. This past October my husband noticed piles and piles of honeycombs at the base of this tree. I felt sick! Not sure what got them, but they definitely took a hit. I have yet to see them this spring and I'm sure the hive is dead - there would surely be activity by now if some had lived. When I as out today working on the garden I saw no honey bees at all - the only bees I saw were yellow jackets. Ugh.

I guess this pushes my motivation button a bit for starting our own hives - I just need to be sure that they're safe from whatever got to the last bunch!

Back
Top Bottom