A bit worried....

Kaley

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 23, 2010
Cleaned the coop out today after forgetting to do it for 3 months. I made sure I had on gloves and such but I forgot to wear a mask, and so now I'm scared that I'll get histoplasmosis! Seems kind of unlikely due to the chicken coop being cool and the litter very dry, and not having any dirt in the coop probably helps, but still...

Don’t worry. If you think you might have symptoms of histoplasmosis you can go see a doctor. It is normal to worry about these things, even if they’re really isn’t very much to worry about.

Don’t worry. If you think you might have symptoms of histoplasmosis you can go see a doctor. It is normal to worry about these things, even if they’re really isn’t very much to worry about.
Yeah I actually have health anxiety so I always worry about this stuff haha. There does seem to be some confusing information - it survives best in moist soil but it's spread by dust? From what I'm reading though it seems chickens can't carry it internally.

Yeah I actually have health anxiety so I always worry about this stuff haha. There does seem to be some confusing information - it survives best in moist soil but it's spread by dust? From what I'm reading though it seems chickens can't carry it internally.
You get it by inhaling the spores. If you were to scoop up dirt that is contaminated by histoplasmosis there is a chance that you could get the disease. Histoplasmosis is more common in places where there are lots of bat droppings.

LMAO, we were cleaning coops and mucking barns as kids and we didn't walk around in full hazmat suits. I've lived to be an old grey man.

Unfortunately we can't go back and change things, but I'm guessing you will be sure to mask up next time. There are multiple threads here on BYC's about this. Many of us always wear masks while doing the clean out especially those of us with impaired lungs. Anywhere chickens hang out for any amount of time, there will be dust. Poop, dander, casings, etc will be in their area, especially in their coop. Histoplasmosis can be serious so anytime dust might fly, it'd be a good to wear a N95 respirator. I wish you the best and hope nothing comes of this but in the small chance it does, please see your doctor as soon as you notice symptoms. The severity between cases is all over the place. I know that @Folly's place was one that participated in a similar thread that I recall. She always has very wise advice ❤️

Unfortunately we can't go back and change things, but I'm guessing you will be sure to mask up next time. There are multiple threads here on BYC's about this. Many of us always wear masks while doing the clean out especially those of us with impaired lungs. Anywhere chickens hang out for any amount of time, there will be dust. Poop, dander, casings, etc will be in their area, especially in their coop. Histoplasmosis can be serious so anytime dust might fly, it'd be a good to wear a N95 respirator. I wish you the best and hope nothing comes of this but in the small chance it does, please see your doctor as soon as you notice symptoms. The severity between cases is all over the place. I know that @Folly's place was one that participated in a similar thread that I recall. She always has very wise advice ❤️
Yeah previously I always made sure that I was at least wearing something over my face; diligence just escaped me this time haha.

Back
Top Bottom