A break, or are they done laying?

Phillisy

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I have a trio of Sebastopol, all around 4 years old, that I purchased last year. This isn’t my first year keeping geese, but it is my first year breeding them.

One of the ladies started laying February 19, the other started March 1; they were laying sporadically at first, but after a couple of weeks I was getting an egg every 36-48hrs from each. After getting a total of 31 eggs combined, they stopped laying! Neither has gone broody, because it’s been too cold here still for me to allow them to keep their eggs yet.

Do they take a break between laying “clutches”?
Or are they done for the season? 😔 15 & 16 eggs each seems so few!

02A29655-9D44-4813-BEA3-895B935F2EB1.jpeg

Last edited:
It does seem like a very small total for such young geese. And if they're done laying, they should have gone broody.

Since it's very cold, it's possible they're taking a break from laying, awaiting warmer and more egg-friendly weather. Another possibility is some critter has discovered the nests and is stealing the eggs. Or, since you're taking the eggs, could they have found another place to lay them?

I thought so too. And I found it weird they both quit so suddenly; there was no drop off in production at all.

We did have a bit of a cold snap for a week or so, but it has been getting progressively warmer (finally!) and in the plus temperatures the last week or so. They’re in a secured area, and nesting in the barn, so nothing has been taking their eggs except for me. One of the girls does still periodically sit on the nest they were using, with the dummy egg I left, so I don’t think they’ve moved the nest...
I’m at a loss.

I'd say they are done. Sebastopol are seasonal layers. They lay in early spring. Mine start in late February and are done by the first week of April.

31 eggs from two Sebastopols is actually several eggs in my opinion. Most of mine will lay 6 to 8 eggs and set them then they are done for the year.

31 eggs from two Sebastopols is actually several eggs in my opinion. Most of mine will lay 6 to 8 eggs and set them then they are done for the year.

I may be wrong, but I believe if they set that stops them from laying for the rest of the season; it’s not that they can’t lay more, it’s that they have fulfilled their biological purpose for that season so they no longer need to lay more. If you were to take their eggs, they should continue laying (in February & March here it is -20c something, so I have to take their eggs for awhile).

Quite a few Sebastopol forums and groups I have been on say they usually lay until around April-May, sometimes even until June depending on when they started. That’s not to say mine aren’t done laying, they may be, I just found it odd they quit so suddenly without going broody on the dummy egg I left in their nest, even though my one goose does go back to sit on it when it gets cold out.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I believe if they set that stops them from laying for the rest of the season; it’s not that they can’t lay more, it’s that they have fulfilled their biological purpose for that season so they no longer need to lay more. If you were to take their eggs, they should continue laying (in February & March here it is -20c something, so I have to take their eggs).
Quite a few Sebastopol forums and groups I have been on say they usually lay until around April-May, sometimes even until June depending on when they started. That’s not to say mine aren’t done laying, they may be, I just found it odd they quit so suddenly without going broody on the one egg I left in their nest.

I've taken their eggs in the past. They would always stop laying in early April. Like you flipped a switch, suddenly no more eggs.

Back
Top Bottom