A BYC CHANGE OVER REALITY. All need to read.

I sent off an e-mail to the RockMelt folks telling them that I can't get the drop down menus to work here.

Luckily the drop down menus do work on IE9.... as much as I dislike IE9 :0)

I'm learning. Slowly.

So grateful to Nifty and all of the mods for keeping us in business.

While I like some of the features and COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND the need for downtime and a move to new servers as the site grows, I believe the site administrators should have considered a couple of things:

We spent the last year, and especially the last 5 months considering all of the items you posted. This isn't our first rodeo. :)

Hundreds of extensive man hours were spend by our team evaluating all the options, the demographics of our community, and about 1,000 other variables and made what we felt, and feel, is the best decision. It won't be best for everybody, but I 100% guarantee that a solution that is best for 115,000 does not exist, and this is the next best thing AND it exists.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We spent the last year, and especially the last 5 months considering all of the items you posted. This isn't our first rodeo. :)

Hundreds of extensive man hours were spend by our team evaluating all the options, the demographics of our community, and about 1,000 other variables and made what we felt and feel is the best decision. It won't be best for everybody, but I 100% guarantee that a solution that is best for 115,000 does not exist, and this is the next best thing AND it exists.
big_smile.png

I agree 115,000% but your tech guys/gals could release browser inserts (Paste) options with little or no total effect on what you are trying to build. It's a bit of a tweak thing, but thousands of the spelling challenged will thank you.

Nifty - I think you guys did very good. It seems that, these days, some folks just love to whine and complain about everything. I like the change. Thanks.

I still stand by what I have said. I don't like the change but I can put up with it. What I have no use for is requiring people to pay for basic functions like changing the post per page setting an removing that sidebar so I can see the forum in the whole screen.

Yet you now have functions for free that where only GFM and PPM.
big_smile.png

While I like some of the features and COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND the need for downtime and a move to new servers as the site grows, I believe the site administrators should have considered a couple of things:

1) Many folks who have chickens live in rural areas with slow or intermittent connections
2) Many peeps who have chickens in our lives want to live more simply and NOT have to spend a lot of time and/or money upgrading our computers and/or software to accomodate other people's technological whims.
3) Not everyone at this site is from the US, Canada or Australia. I've viewed posts from peeps in Mexico, China etc. Not everyone in, say, Mexico, has high-speed internet....
4) The new site is not W3C compliant for universal access. (or isn't labeled as such) This should have been considered as I find that W3C-labeled sites almost always load VERY fast and are very stable. I believe strongly in the W3C universal access concept.

Thus, I believe that the site should have been migrated to new and better servers but with a similar interface to the old site. Keep the number of scripts etc. down so the pages load fast even with a slow connection and an older computer.

The sheer amount of javascript is making this site run slo-o-o-w on my _Pentium 4_ laptop and I ain't about to go out and buy a new machine!!!!

As it is in this down economy I'm trying to live a bit more plainly and learn some of the skills that folks had before there WERE computers....

I'm on here with an old MAC G4, Safari 4 with a satellite connection. You don't want to know hold old my PC is, but it runs XP barely.

As to cost. Upgrading browsers is free and doesn't require an outlay of cash.

If you are having issues with a P4 I would suggest reloaded the operating system because they do get slower and slower with use. I have had to do mine many times to keep the speed up.

Another interesting trick is turn Flash support off on your browser.

(I'm really frugal, so that would be dinner and movies for 2)
big_smile.png

I'm probably the most "frugal" person on the face of the planet, but the changes I asked for don't really cost a dime.

It's way less than a cooked chicken from the grocery store and a $1 red box rental. Do the date right and at least ask for the salty shake cheese tasting thing for the pop-corn.

I see the "Paste" option is forming. Getting gooder!

Back
Top Bottom