A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Just curious because I haven't seen or heard of it before. What causes it?

I am sorry I did not reply better yesterday, I was on my Iphone in the hospital while my wife had surgery. While I can read and make short statements on my Iphone it is not good for long explanations.

R2elk answered, I was just going to add, you might not notice the eyes unless you have had some time to observe a normal eyed turkey. It becomes obvious once you get use to normal eyes.

In the case of my hen that R2elk mentioned it had small eyes and was on my do not breed list. I was trying to put them to bed, as everyone here knows my turkeys and bed seldom go well together. They fight me all the time. My wife has better luck getting them to bed than I do.

It was a cold rainy/snowy/sleety evening the wind was blowing and all the turkeys went in except this one. It was a dark dusk. I tried to net her to catch her and bring her in. She was acting weirder than normal. She had been bumping into things, after the failed netting attempt, She took off on a dead run n a straight line. south towards "the Swamp".

She never slowed down when she got to the open pasture she was gone. It was not like she was headed to anything it was just running straight away from where I was. It is about 1/4 mile to the swamp. I tried to run after her and decided she was not worth the effort when I last saw her she was entering the pines around the swamp.

After talking to R2elk and what I knew about small eye syndrome from before, I am convinced her eyesight had deteriorated to the point she was blind in the conditions we had that evening.

As I understand it any turkey can have it, but self blues are the most likely to have it...Lavender is self blue, for some of us that go temporarily brain dead upon occasion.
lau.gif

In my case the small eye syndrome was self culling. I am sure a furry creature ate her.

I make sure I only breed the biggest eyed turkeys just to try and prevent this.

She would hit trees, bump off and go again, stumps, branches what ever.

I don't think Sabrina is going to be a bad mother. She is sticking tight to the nest. That being said, she runs when I'm near. She only runs to the back door where I keep the feed and water. She has always been back within minutes of my walking away.
However! I'm wondering why she will leave if I make eye contact. She can also be lured off with scratch. It takes a few minutes, but she will get up.

Hi all, question for the experts here: I have a small flock,6 hens, 2 toms, first year laying. Palms and bronze. Three hens are broody, serious, beat the crap out of you broody, two hens in one nest, one bronze, one palm, now the Other bronze hen is sharing a nest with the palm tom. He seems quite serious as well. Um, is this common? Males pitching in? Should I intervene in some way, and if so any idea what to do without going to the hospital after
1f914.png
Overall I'm hands off with all my animals, I observe closely, but try not to fuss too much. They know what they are doing better than I most of the time I think.
Thanks in advance!

Hope your wife makes a speedy recovery ralph

X2

I have a broody Black Langshan. That's the only one so far. I just gave her three eggs I had in lockdown, due to hatch Friday. I was about to give her fresh eggs to sit on, just to get it over with, and then I realized I could cut three weeks off her down time.

Neither turkey is laying anymore, unless they've hidden a nest. For a while Muffin was laying her eggs on the ground in the pen, but only a few and then she stopped. They are both usually in the yard, so I haven't suspected a nest elsewhere, until I saw Muffin hopping back inside the fence yesterday. So now I have to watch her and see where she goes.

Toms can kill poults. It's general practice to fence them away from broodies. They are clumsy around eggs too, and can trample nests. Toms can kill setting hens, thinking the hen is in the submission pose and then not stopping. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Last edited:
I've not had issues so far after the third day or so, the palm tom tried it on with the two hens,who promptly beat him into submission. It was actually kind of interesting to watch. About 10 days later the other hen was starting to sit and he joined her. Guess can't beat 'em join 'em.
The two hens should only have about a week or so to go. I think. I was concerned about separating then trying to reintroduce etc.
I will pull out the palm tom and see what happens. He had a ticket to freezer camp anyway.
Thanks for the insight!

Thanks she is doing well. I think the recovery will be fast. I let her use the remote today.

I will be taking it away tomorrow. I would hate for her to think she is entitled to equal time with the remote...

Sidekick (a Tom) sat on those golf balls last year and tried to raise the poults. He did a pretty good job until the neighbors dog got them.

This year he may not get a chance, as he has turned into a possible Dinner Guest.

It appears to me there is no hard fast rule to turkeys, they seem to always do the unexpected.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom