A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Well the thought of shooting my way out did cross my mind. Than I would have to fix the damage done and deal with a freaked out T-Bone.

How would I know if it's cocci? She didn't survive the night. Now I need to make sure nobody else gets sick.

Wow..
I am sorry, I have no idea, You might want to just cut her open and take a peek. Not that you will see anything unless it is obvious.

The other thing to remember is to not over worry it. Worry does not good, and birds sometimes just get sick and die. It could be whatever she had the rest of the flock has developed immunity too.

How would I know if it's cocci? She didn't survive the night. Now I need to make sure nobody else gets sick.

I'm sorry Chaos!
Cocci poops have blood in them. Not the occasional lining pieces that come out, blood. I believe with worms you also see them in the poop.
If you necropsy, open up the digestive tract and see what is in there. Check the crop too. And look for fluid around the heart.
Again, I'm so sorry!

On the topic of agility turkeys, I love it!
There is a video of a girl taking her chicken through an agility course. It is awesome!

I told my daughter that will be her summer project.

MM...several trainers have used chickens while working with students. CHICKENS for goodness sake....turkeys would be so much better!

Thanks all. I did cut her open a little bit, didn't see anything real obvious. Her poop was really watery and smelled. Checked some of the intestines and poop sac and didn't notice any worms. She did seem to be overly skinny. Wasn't able to check her crop because its kinda hard to poke around the insides of a cold stiff bird.

Chaos - so sorry to hear about Cleo :(

I am trying to picture my turkeys doing agility and I think I need more caffeine to process that one :lau When they were little, they listened quite well - then they hit the teenage phase - maybe the next stage they'll be civilized, sweet birds again.....

Chaos - so sorry to hear about Cleo :(

I am trying to picture my turkeys doing agility and I think I need more caffeine to process that one :lau When they were little, they listened quite well - then they hit the teenage phase - maybe the next stage they'll be civilized, sweet birds again.....
I'm sure Ralph would disagree!
I mistook Banshees teenager aloofness for tom like behavior. She will still come for snuggles, but she prefers Tomahawk not see. Must be a dominant hen thing.
I am bound and determined to have my turkeys be like JJ and Ethel... The reason I decided to get turkeys at all.
When I get my tom, I think I will call him Tomahawk and the tomahawk replacement will be Tonto.
Is it weird I think of poultry names in my spare time?

Also, a question. I would normally never put heat in the coop. But while we are away the temps are supposed to be hovering around zero at night. Falcon, the non walking chicken, will be back in the coop. She can't get up to roost with the others.
Should I switch out their CFL bulb for a 60watt black light and turn off the timer?

JJ and Ethel are the perfect turkeys. For the record.... they are good role models for young turkeys.

Sidekick is a year and a half or so now, he still has that aloofness, I expect he always will have it.

I think the turkey I have most likely to become like JJ and Ethel is Ginger. Even though he is a teenage punk now, he has a certain luvable quality to him. (unlike Penguin who is just rotten to the core).

I do not think I would risk all the birds with a light bulb, for (and do not hate me MM) a chicken that is most likely not going to be there when you get home. Without you should would be gone now, I am afraid.

That sounds cruel but somehow I feel you were thinking it and just needed it said.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

JJ and Ethel are the perfect turkeys. For the record.... they are  good role models  for young turkeys.

Sidekick is a year and a half or so now, he still has that aloofness, I expect he always will have it.

I think the turkey I have most likely to become like JJ and Ethel is Ginger. Even though he is a teenage punk now, he has a certain luvable quality to him. (unlike Penguin who is just rotten to the core).

I do not think I would risk all the birds with a light bulb, for (and do not hate me MM) a chicken that is most likely not going to be there when you get home. Without you should would be gone now, I am afraid.

That sounds cruel but somehow I feel you were thinking it and just needed it said.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Thanks Ralph. I did need to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom