A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Feisty - sorry to hear that about the hen. I get really annoyed at people on craigslist who do that. They agree to sell you something for a set price and then just before you go to pick it up they sell it out from under you.

I'll probably be getting a blue slate and a mostly royal palm (with a little sweetgrass
celebrate.gif
) mixed in. Just as soon as I can get a quarantine pen thrown together. All you peoples talking about your spouses limiting your poultry addictions. CURRENTLY I don't have a limit on the number of birds I can have
ep.gif
although the two big limiting factors are housing for them and initially buying them. Although I'm sure if I did start getting ridiculous with it I'd get my unlimitedness limited.

Chaos. ...what's "probably getting " mean? Did you find a hen that is Slate x Royal Palm? Wow.....sounds gorgeous! Sounds like another calico flock in the making! My limiting factor is space. I'm glad there is a limiting factor or I'd be up to my neck in turkeys!

Freezing in St.Louis this morning. Uggg. Miss my girls.

Chaos. ...what's "probably getting " mean? Did you find a hen that is Slate x Royal Palm? Wow.....sounds gorgeous! Sounds like another calico flock in the making! My limiting factor is space. I'm glad there is a limiting factor or I'd be up to my neck in turkeys!

Freezing in St.Louis this morning. Uggg. Miss my girls.
Probably getting means will be getting....or something like that. No she's not a Slate x Royal Palm. One would be a Slate and One would be a Royal Palm x Sweetgrass for a total of two new girlfriends for T-Bone who is now girlfriendless. At least thats the plan.

Feisty- I'm so sorry to hear about the jerk who promised you a turkey!

I'm also sorry to hear about you missing out on turkey dinner!
We also have a family emergency and decided to take advantage of the time the kids have off of school to travel.
My DH's mom wants to...gulp.... Eat at a restaurant for thanksgiving.
Originally I was going to ship Dinner down, but my selfishness kicked in and knew they would have all the leftover meat... And it would just be wasted.
They don't cook or eat leftovers.
So we are having a weekend after thanksgiving, thanksgiving!!

I would love a rainbow of a flock! There was an Eastern hen available not too long ago... I almost just snuck her in. That was when I thought My tomboy of a hen was a Tom.
That would have been cool. They are really pretty birds.

Chaos- no limit?! Lucky. I think Ralph also has that going.

Funny, Dinner had a pardon for about 2 months because my hubbs fell for him. Really, if he hadn't become aggressive with the chickens, he would likely still be here.
I think that broke his heart a little too much, now he doesn't want to bond with anymore turkeys.... So I have a limit.
He does enjoy the turkeys over the chickens. Except for the fact that they enjoy the deck.

Chaos - so exciting :weee I hope you get the new hens, T-Bone will love them!

Memphis - sorry you are freezing....I'll be feeling your pain soon - cold and turkey withdrawl :)

MM - Maybe building a turkey rail off the side of the deck would be a nice compromise (and keep the poop off the deck) :gig

My real limitation for turkeys is run space, I don't want them to be crowded. I'm a little paranoid about predators - we have a cougar living nearby and several coyotes that regularly visit the yard. In the spring we will probably rework the current arrangement, but the days are just too short right now to get much outside work done. Apparently DH told a neighbor that we'll take one of his roosters - so I imagine that will probably shake up my chickens' world for a little bit :p

I have a limit on the number of turkeys I can have. My DW has just not told me the number yet. I have so many toms to get rid of this spring. It is going to be hard deciding who it is.

I look at Ginger and hope she is a girl, but I think she is a femmy tom. Can I say that?).

Her snood is a tad long for a hen, but not as long as a Toms should be.

I posted this on the "Surviving Minnesota" thread. but it is relevant here after MM mentioned the turkeys on the deck. For some reason my DW hates birds on the deck. We live in an old farm house I have remodeled. Because we did not want to lose all of the old farm house look, we kept some of the old farm looking windows.

The one in the entery area to the kitchen looks out on our deck. I happen to go by it ans this is what I saw looking in on me. I loved it. I have not showed Judy yet. She would not think I should have snapped a picture.

OMG Ralphie! That's a great picture. Ralph, you know the rule...when it's a question of sex, you need to post pictures for us "experts " to weight in! Interesting Ginger may be a girl!

Of course Chaos. ...we will be waiting for lots of pictures!

MM...your making the right call on Dinner. Sorry about the restaurant. But your Thanksgiving after Thanksgiving will be great!

Fiesty. ..honestly, if I had a cougar as a neighbor I might just move! But I'm a wimp!

Geez, now I have to go shopping with my sister. Rather chew my arm off.

does that count as being on the deck?

I did not think about it. but you gave me a new perspective. Technically they are on the railing and not the deck.

I think I will keep that little nugget to myself Chaos. I will play that card in the future if I have too. No sense wasting a good trump card like that!

Thanks.

I will post pictures of Ginger. But I am sure you will all say Tom, The differences are so subtle I am not sure the camera will catch them. If he is a she, she is a large she. I would love to have a jersey buff hen. Maybe I am using wishful thinking on him.

Back
Top Bottom