A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I am cracking up here in south Texas! Looooong day of travel.
I have already declared a champagne punch the drink of turkey day. Glad we are on the same page!
The term turkey day is pretty liberal for the timeframe if signature cocktail.... I've already started. I plan to continue until I am home again in a week.
The turkeys went to see the neighbor this morning... Banshee must have needed some human contact since we left at 5 before they got up.

Glad you made it ok MM. It's horrible flying anywhere these days. Unfortunately I have to travel frequently. It's such a drag!

I've been drinking all day out of self-preservation. I love my DS, just a whole different lifestyle here. Shopping is her idea of a fun girls day out. We did compromise. She picked the store yesterday. I'm picking tomorrow! Picked out some great nurseries that specialize in natives. She's not thrilled!

Offered to pick up Penguin in Nashville on Ralphie 's soiree south. Seems Penguin will not be making the trip. :( Apparently his DW refuses to go on vacation with a turkey. Guess I can't blame her. Although I had visions of Penguin riding shot gun! :lol:

I'm hoping your neighbor likes Banshee. I'm missing my girls. I swear if I hear just one more turkey /Thanksgiving joke............

Well it sounds like everyone is having refreshments.....I had a late day at work, so finally my turn for a beverage! I think it's a spiced rum night (cold and windy here). The birds were all waiting inside tonight - which I assume means that they were not appreciating the brisk air currents (we usually have to remind them to come in, rain or shine). They haven't seen snow yet, and I'm curious to see how they react if we get some this year.

Memphis - I can sympathize with the shopping thing, a great idea to hit nurseries! I'm still laughing about your chicken sitter and the barking turkeys.....

MM -It's great that your turkeys can go visit the neighbor while you are away :)

That reminds me - one of these days we'll have to find someone who can look after the poultry if we both leave town at the same time lol. It hasn't come up since spring when we got them :/ My MIL might be willing, but I'm not sure what she would do with the turkeys if one of them wanted a lap to sit in :lol:

So here's a quarantine question for those of you in the know. General rule of thumb is to quarantine new birds for at least two weeks and have them 40ft away from other birds (at least I think thats what they say). Here's the question. If you don't have the space to keep birds 40ft apart (lack of clear flat space and my chickens free range) is there still a reason to quarantine new birds?

So here's a quarantine question for those of you in the know. General rule of thumb is to quarantine new birds for at least two weeks and have them 40ft away from other birds (at least I think thats what they say). Here's the question. If you don't have the space to keep birds 40ft apart (lack of clear flat space and my chickens free range) is there still a reason to quarantine new birds?

ALWAYS find a way to quarentine new birds. I learned that the hard way last spring. There's nothing more eye opening than having to put down a couple of your favorite birds because a new one brought an illness in with them. Can you pen your free range birds just during the quarentine period?

Morning folks! I thought Aurora had a cool set up to quarantine Adam. She had him in her garage in a brooder! There needs to be a quarantine period. I haven’t had a bad experience bug two of my friends have. Chaos....do you have a spare bedroom maybe??

ALWAYS find a way to quarentine new birds. I learned that the hard way last spring. There's nothing more eye opening than having to put down a couple of your favorite birds because a new one brought an illness in with them. Can you pen your free range birds just during the quarentine period?
The free range ones can be penned but one or two of them always manage to escape somehow. One of these days I'm going to figure out how they are getting out and fix the problem, hopefully before they get snatched up by a hungry animal.

Morning folks! I thought Aurora had a cool set up to quarantine Adam. She had him in her garage in a brooder! There needs to be a quarantine period. I haven’t had a bad experience bug two of my friends have. Chaos....do you have a spare bedroom maybe??
The only animals allowed in the house are me and dogs
lol.png
if its really necessary poultry can stay in the garage but would prefer to not have them in there so I can use the garage for garage purposes.

After I finish my new quarantine pen I was thinking to move it up by the turkey coop as it's first occupants will be T-Bones new girlfriends but there isn't any place I could put it up there where it would be at least 40ft away.

Back
Top Bottom