A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I guess the spare bedroom is out of the picture? How far from T-bone's pen are you talking about? Honestly, I quarantined Annie about 25 feet from Daisy. They were in separate pens and could see each other. My chickens were not near the quarantine pen during this time.

I am planning to try using my turkey tractor as a quarantine space with the "new rooster" that DH says we are getting. I won't let anyone else out to range while we're keeping everyone apart, but they'll be able to see each other from a distance as we wait. I'm hoping this works okay so I don't have to build a separate quarantine area for future additions :)

I too have a quarantine pen that is less than ideal.... The other birds can go right up to the sides.
I give all birds a serious inspection, look at the other birds they live with, etc.
I know it is not a guarantee I will see anything if it exists, but it is just what I do.

Luckily my neighbor loves my turkeys! Everyone who meets them is astounded how much they like our turkeys!

Last night I caught my DH talking about the turkeys and how much he likes them!!!!! I was smiling ear to ear.

I guess the spare bedroom is out of the picture? How far from T-bone's pen are you talking about? Honestly, I quarantined Annie about 25 feet from Daisy. They were in separate pens and could see each other. My chickens were not near the quarantine pen during this time.
Def. out of the question, as is keeping any poultry in the basement. Probably anywhere from right beside it to maybe 20ft away from it. I wanted to make them with-in viewing distance of each other so they get used to each other faster.

Morning folks! I thought Aurora had a cool set up to quarantine Adam. She had him in her garage in a brooder! There needs to be a quarantine period. I haven’t had a bad experience bug two of my friends have. Chaos....do you have a spare bedroom maybe??

That big brooder has come in handy so much and it was the simplest thing to throw together. Now that Adam's out, I have two black copper marans ladies in there. As soon as they're infertile, I'll be putting my BCM roo in with them :) time to fire up the incubator again!

I take a lackadaisical attitude to quarantines. I am well aware it can come back to bite me.

I have an area (my CX brooder shed) I can use for quarantine. I have used it for birds I get from people quite a distance from me, ( over 100 miles) I got some birds from Aussigal who lives about 7 miles from here as the crow flies. I have been to her place and she has been to ours.

I figure, rightly or not, with wild birds that most likely are from the same area, I figure what she has, I have already. I know she has no diseases there. If she did or had recently I would not have skipped a serious hard quarantine. When I got King George and the British gals from her I kept them in a tractor and brooder coop where the other birds could walk right up to them.

The British still live in that brooder tractor, I try to let them out, but King George is the Penguin of the chicken world. He beats the crap out of my other roosters and he attacks Bert Jr. A sure way to remain locked up here is attack Bert Jr. Now when I let the British galls out I catch King George and lock him up. I do not let the little belly button run free any more. In Aussiegals defense, she told me before I got him he was a Belly button. ( not really, but the word she used would not make it past the censor.)

MM sounds like more turkey are in your future!!!

Last edited:
Ralphie, don't take this the wrong way but you've got some pretty belly buttons
lau.gif

Ralphie. ..good point about the wild birds. I've had Speckled Sussex for years. Actually a SS roo is the only one I've ever kept. He died last year at 8 years. He was a love. Still miss him. With no other roos I never had to deal him fighting. I guess King George wants to be King of the chicken yard. Is he friendly with you? Mine was a sweetie. His name was Gregory Peck. We called him Mr. Peck.

Chaos. ...I think 20 feet will be ok.

Ralphie. ..good point about the wild birds. I've had Speckled Sussex for years. Actually a SS roo is the only one I've ever kept. He died last year at 8 years. He was a love. Still miss him. With no other roos I never had to deal him fighting. I guess King George wants to be King of the chicken yard. Is he friendly with you? Mine was a sweetie. His name was Gregory Peck. We called him Mr. Peck.

Chaos. ...I think 20 feet will be ok.

NO. King George actually bit me the other day. BUT I was holding him against his will. He was beating on Bert Jr. When I picked him up, bent his neck over and shoved him under my arm. I wa trying to sooth him and dominate him and he bit me. Luckily I had a leather work glove on or it would have really hurt. He will not be a free range rooster until he learns to behave and be good to me. I need his genes this spring. I will not need them next spring!

Wow...he really is a belly button!

Don't forget to post those close up pics of Ginger. We need another mystery! :D

Back
Top Bottom