A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I agree Ralphie. We need to further define the different degrees of turkey tameness. If for no other reason than to further confuse anyone one new to this thread! :lol:

May I suggest "Lap Turkey " = those birds that want to be held or snuggled.

We need terms for the other degrees of friendliness. I currently only have Lap Turkeys. So you guys need to chime in here.

Good morning all my favorite turkey people!

Thank you so much for all the condolences and advice!
Fethyr- that is an awesome link! Thank you!
Ralph- I will certainly pm your friend, thanks!

I was a mess last night after I spoke to the pathologist. He said she likely had it her whole life (I know mareks is not completely prevented by vaccine). I've only had her a couple months. I just felt terrible that it was me who brought this into my flock.
After all kinds of research last night, I realized it could show up at any point in time because of wind, rodents, wild birds, etc.

So, I will be sure and inform my highly germaphobe hubby that we are not culling the flock out of his fear of catching something. In no uncertain terms is it zoonotic. And really, you can't be certain it is gone.

So, no more crying about it. It can't be changed.

All the turkey pics are great! I miss my birds so much!
I can't wait to show everyone pics of Dinner next weekend. I think he may end up in 2 pieces. We plan to spatchcock him, but I'm not positive he will fit in the oven even then. If not, we will smoke half and oven the other half.
I insisted on cooking Thanksgiving dinner... No restaurant for us! We had prime rib and Yorkshire pudding. Delicious.
But I am missing turkey. I can't wait!

I do not have any "Lap Turkeys"
Ethel is an "old Biddy" She will stand next to me and talk my ear off.
She tolerates holding.

JJ is a "submissive" he is not as friendly as Ethel, does not cock his head and talk to me like she does. But tolerates being held. but finds it lack dignity.

Sidekick is an "aloof" He will be near me, does not allow me to touch him, but will accept snacks and treats.

The rest our "hanger-on's" they stay close follow me and all but do not like being touched, or too close. everything has to be on their terms.

MM...you can't feel guilty about something that is beyond your control! And your dinner sound wonderful! Even without a turkey.

Ralph...ever wonder what Ethel is talking about? She is so obviously try to tell you something.

Ralph...Lap Turkey needs to stay. Me, Fiesty, Aurora and MM all have birds that seek out laps or snuggles.

Tolerant Turkey could mean those that will allow physical contact but don't seek it out. That would apply to Ethel & JJ.

Still mulling over other terms...

Good morning all my favorite turkey people!

Thank you so much for all the condolences and advice!
Fethyr- that is an awesome link! Thank you!
Ralph- I will certainly pm your friend, thanks!

I was a mess last night after I spoke to the pathologist. He said she likely had it her whole life (I know mareks is not completely prevented by vaccine). I've only had her a couple months. I just felt terrible that it was me who brought this into my flock.
After all kinds of research last night, I realized it could show up at any point in time because of wind, rodents, wild birds, etc.

So, I will be sure and inform my highly germaphobe hubby that we are not culling the flock out of his fear of catching something. In no uncertain terms is it zoonotic. And really, you can't be certain it is gone.

So, no more crying about it. It can't be changed.

All the turkey pics are great! I miss my birds so much!
I can't wait to show everyone pics of Dinner next weekend. I think he may end up in 2 pieces. We plan to spatchcock him, but I'm not positive he will fit in the oven even then. If not, we will smoke half and oven the other half.
I insisted on cooking Thanksgiving dinner... No restaurant for us! We had prime rib and Yorkshire pudding. Delicious.
But I am missing turkey. I can't wait!

If you smoke him I suggest "Mrs Butterworth's" instead of brown sugar in the brine.. The half I smoked was so good done with it. Matter of fact, I was just watching the birds out there and thinking I might cull a tom just to smoke the whole thing soon. It was that good. (no humbleness here on that )
lau.gif

I am thinking of making split pea soup with rest today. It was so much like a good ham, it was unbelievable.

Yep, one of those guys is on the end of short stick.

Lap turkey and tolerant turkey are both good. I think "Show off turkey" sounds like a good one....Adam, always strutting lol. He's also become more of a tolerant turkey than a lap turkey anymore but I think that's because he has to look good for his ladies. He does still let me cuddle him at night before bed though.

I like tolerant turkey!

My DW and I are always wishing we knew what Ethel was talking about, She goes on and on and cocks here head and gives us the eye the whole time she is talking, It is so funny, hence the term "old Biddy"..

I really like tolerant.

I posted the picture of my turkey on Porters FB page. Kevin Porter himself answered me! He says it is a Rust Lavender and not a Lilac. He does not have a picture of one of them and asked if he could use my picture on his site! I am so honored by that. Now I need to run the calculator to determine the guys fate.

OMG Ralphie! You made the Porters site!! :bow. I'm in awe! Maybe that's what Ethel has been trying to tell you....how special she & her babies are!! Rusty Lavender. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom