A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

How have u never seen the tom?

The tom was roosting on a garbage truck and road about two hours away and they couldn't catch him so the hen which is my turkey penny. So I have never got to see the tom that was with her before because they weren't mine until the tom got lost. So hey brought penny here to be with he chickens. So then I had my chicken setting on her eggs about a month and two weeks later after we got her and then before I tossed the turkey eggs that I was using to get my chicken to go broody I candled them to double check and they were forming cause I was going to pitch them and put some silkie eggs under her but then they were forming so now we have some baby turkeys which is her kids that I have inside but penny just try's to kill them now that they are older. So to keep her happy right now we went out kayaking and got some golf balls out of the river to give to her since I use golf balls in the chickens nest I took those ones to and put under her. So she has like 8 golf balls under her. But anyways we weren't expecting the turkey poults right now they are about almost two months old. So we still haven't found the tom we went looking for him at nit hoping he would be on someone's house roof of fence or something so we could see him but we didn't see him anywhere so penny is here all by herself with the chickens and then her babys we weren't expecting are still inside.

Last edited:
Aurora I find bats entertaining too, I like to stand in the middle of my yard at dusk and use them for target practice with fine bird shot and my 12 gauge...The little buggers are not as swift at avoiding flying objects as some people think..

The bat that bit me was tested for rabies. They cut his little head off and looked at his duck like brain.... And I got the shots that still give me nightmares!

I think around 60% of the bats around here have rabies. We have enough rabies in the state that a bite warrants the shots, that are now down to 3-4 shots.

Hi Memphis! I was missing all my BYC friends too! We went camping over the weekend so we were busy!
1f601.png
I am gonna try get somepics for y'all today but they may have to wait till tomorrow!

Glad your back Holm! Love your farm pics.

R2elk....can't even imagine a Cornish Palm tom....geez!!

Dheltzle....your mottled are beautiful. Didn't realize they get more spots each molt.

Ralph...did you get your Porter eggs yet?

Here is a pic of 3 mottled black hens. They get more white on them as they get older. In this pic the 2 whiter ones are 2 years old and the dark one is under a year. @Auroradream26 MB poults from these ladies.
They're beautiful! I need to get out there and get more pictures of them. You remember the one thar you said you were curious about? The black one that had the white head? Is almost half and half black/white. A lot of white mottling on the bottom and mostly black on top. I'll try to get a good pic of that one when I get a chance. They're all getting big, especially the little Jakes. A couple of them are really friendly so far too.

Hi Memphis! I was missing all my BYC friends too! We went camping over the weekend so we were busy!
1f601.png
I am gonna try get somepics for y'all today but they may have to wait till tomorrow!

I can't wait to go camping just wish I could take the chickens and turkeys with us. Just have to build a mobile chicken coop first and find a camp spot were they allow livestock. So I will have to see what neighbor wouldn't mind feeding them while we are gone. We go a week at a time with 4 dogs and a Guinea pig so no one will have to worry about a key and stuff to come in and feed the animals inside.

Does anyone know when a tom will try to start mounting a hen I have a the three baby turkey two hens one tom they are about 2 months old and the tom is strutting trying to get his sister down to mount her she did lay down for him for a second but then she stood back up but I was just wondering. Thanks

I can't wait to go camping just wish I could take the chickens and turkeys with us. Just have to build a mobile chicken coop first and find a camp spot were they allow livestock. So I will have to see what neighbor wouldn't mind feeding them while we are gone. We go a week at a time with 4 dogs and a Guinea pig so no one will have to worry about a key and stuff to come in and feed the animals inside.

You could always let the dogs feast upon the guinea pig,,,,,,,,,maybe throw them a duck too...

Does anyone know when a tom will try to start mounting a hen I have a the three baby turkey two hens one tom they are about 2 months old and the tom is strutting trying to get his sister down to mount her she did lay down for him for a second but then she stood back up but I was just wondering. Thanks

Strutting at that age is not sexual. It is an attempt to be the top turkey on the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom