A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Fiesty that is so funny! Makes ya wonder what goes through their minds!

Last edited:
Bantambird: congrats on the new poults.

Ralphie: lizzie looks secure in the tree now. Is the mesh up all night down all day? Bet your birds are happy to be free at last.

Rhodared: I gave my broodys some eggs from the incubator that were about to hatch.

My longest broody hatched a palm/narri poult. She was out tonight when I got home with baby.

My other broody was locked tight last night. I gave her 6 guinea eggs. Tonight there was a guinea baby next to her but still setting tight. So maybe rest are hatching. Have pic but can't post til I get to good wifi.

I hope this breaks them. Down to one broody left. Bourbon but she was last to set. About a week ago so I'll gi e her a little longer.

Feisty: good job on solving the mystery. Chickens and turkeys do the darn destination things.

I solved a mystery today! I've been trying to figure out why my only blue eggs seem to get broken regularly. I happened to walk into the coop today and these two looked like they were up to something, so I hung out and puttered for awhile to see what they were up to.

Apparently my EE hen likes to crawl under Big Bird to lay her egg - and Big Bird just lets her crawl under there to do her thing
roll.png

The two of them do a little shuffle after the egg gets laid - and I suspect that's when it usually gets broken. I managed to save today's egg, and got some indignant peeps from Big Bird when I took it.

I wish I'd gotten a picture of my EE coming out from under Big Bird - they looked so silly with her head sticking out from under turkey breast feathers
gig.gif

Why on earth would she be laying her egg there - is this normal?
I have chickens do that so I wouldn't see why not, it seems to be the same with our turkey hen and your hen he chicken is trying to get in there to lay and she is just to big to shove out of the box. the chickens need more boxes built and they shove each other out and then they hop back up and they d th same thing over again.

I solved a mystery today! I've been trying to figure out why my only blue eggs seem to get broken regularly. I happened to walk into the coop today and these two looked like they were up to something, so I hung out and puttered for awhile to see what they were up to.

Apparently my EE hen likes to crawl under Big Bird to lay her egg - and Big Bird just lets her crawl under there to do her thing
roll.png

The two of them do a little shuffle after the egg gets laid - and I suspect that's when it usually gets broken. I managed to save today's egg, and got some indignant peeps from Big Bird when I took it.

I wish I'd gotten a picture of my EE coming out from under Big Bird - they looked so silly with her head sticking out from under turkey breast feathers
gig.gif

Why on earth would she be laying her egg there - is this normal?
I don't know about normal but I had a Swedish Flower Hen that decided she had to lay her eggs in the turkeys nest. Eventually she went broody and joined the turkey in sitting on the eggs meaning she was sitting on eggs and the turkey was sitting on her. I finally put a stop to it when she ran the turkey off of the nest and took over completely She got banished and the turkey got her nest back.

Good luck.

I hope it works! Coco's still sitting and I don't know what to do with her either....

I wish you luck also never had so much trouble breaking a broody chicken so why Is it so hard to break a turkey hen.
barnie.gif
I had finally got one chicken to go broody to set on my silkie eggs I was going to order and I was using turkey eggs to get her to do so but when I was ready to pitch out the turkey eggs I figured I would check them and I am glad i did so now i have 3 happy lively turkeys. and the week or so before they hatched i had thrown out some to the chickens cause she had so many she couldn't fit them under her cause she is just a little bantam, she had 7 i got rid or 3 to the chickens cause i didn't think they were fertile. so now we have 3 baby turkey one didn't make it bled to death being that little i didn't know what to do for it.

Back
Top Bottom