A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have chickens and turkeys together and feed everyone turkey starter when I have poults. Free feed soaked/fermented.

Later all flock if I can get it. Last winter I ended up feeding layer for a couple months.
If no babies or broody I put food out 2x a day
My poults and chicks are separated. All of my chicks get broiler starter whether they are broilers or not which is 22-23%. It makes the non-broiler cockerels meatier also. I feed my poults 30% turkey starter. My 9-10 week olds I have been cutting their feed and feeding half 30% starter and half 20% pellets to get them used to pellets. In a week or so I will move them to only pellets and start introducing a little corn.

I have been feeding the royal palm tom about double what we feed each adult chicken and he seems good with that. He doesn't leave any feed on the ground. So that should do him fine in addition to grazing all day. I can't leave out a feeder because of my goats. They eat all the things. Including my hydrangea and all of my Rose of Sharon.

I think one of my sweetgrass poults is a penciled (or semi penciled) royal palm? What do you all think? I'm still learning about turkey genetics. I'm happy no matter what she is honestly.

Screenshot_20230626_173329_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230626_173255_Gallery.jpg

Everyone gets turkey grower or all flock at my house, and all the poults and chicks are raised on gamebird or turkey starter for 8 weeks before moving to turkey grower or all flock. I do feed layer pellets in the chicken house and free choice grit. they get oyster shells when they need it.
Good to know it's fine to give chicks the turkey starter. Thank you!

I'm curious about this bird. Is she blue palm or blue sweetgrass? Im leaning toward blue palm because of the lack of chestnut but I know she needs to mature more to know for certain. I know it isn't possible for her to be a lavender as none of the sires were slated or lavender.

If that's the case, my friends Tom(s) that fathered my poults carried the Narragansett gene. I couldn't figure out where the palms were coming from then I did some calculations on Porters and it's all coming together now. I don't mind palms, especially the blue and penciled. I think they are lovely.

20230626_161307.jpg
20230626_161321.jpg

Last edited:
I plan on test mating my sweetgrass male(s) to royal palm hens to determine if they are split to Narragansett. I've been studying the genetics and if the pairing throws palm it would confirm he is split to Narragansett. If not he isn't. If the pairing throws only SG, the males will be split to Narragansett and we will eat those and we wont be using them as breeders. If all of the males are split, I will get a male from a lady I've recently met that has eliminated royal palms and the Narragansett gene from her sweetgrass. I keep good records of any matings in a book and will keep everything banded.

Just thinking out loud I guess. Making sure I have the genetics all figured out before I start pairing. If they all survive that is.

Back
Top Bottom