A change in roosters crow = go to the vet

brandichick

Chirping
5 Years
May 24, 2014
California
Several weeks ago I posted a question about my rooster, stating that the sound of his crow had changed and asking if anyone had any ideas what it could mean. I had one reply saying that it could possibly be an upper respiratory infection, and that is what I was thinking.

Fast forward another week and my rooster was in full blown respiratory distress, I took him to the vet that same day, and after an x-ray and a sonogram, they discovered he had congestive heart failure and I had to put him to sleep that same day. I was devastated to say the least.

When I had my initial consultation with the vet that morning, heart failure wasn't even one of the things he mentioned as to what could be wrong. He gave me 3 possible options, upper respiratory or something stuck in his throat, lower respiratory issues and he specifically mentioned fungal pneumonia, or enlarged testicals!

I wanted to post this info here so that other rooster owners can have a heads up. If you hear your mature roosters suddenly sounding like they are a bit hoarse and/or like they are juvenile roosters again, you might want to take them to the vet ASAP. With my poor guy there was nothing I could have done even if I had taken him in a few weeks earlier, but perhaps this info can save someone else's cherished pet.
IMG_1371.JPG

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that your boy had to be put to sleep. He was a gorgeous bird. Sometimes there are congenital defects that no matter how observant we are, we cannot see. This was probably one of them.

Plus you have to remember that chickens are the great pretenders. They can pretend to be the picture of health when they aren't. It's their survival instinct at play.

Rest assured that you did all you could for your rooster. He was so lucky to have you in his life. Sometimes the last gift of love you can give them is to let their little spirits fly free.

Sometimes there are congenital defects that no matter how observant we are, we cannot see. This was probably one of them.
Don't I know it. The first chicken to die at my house had liver failure. I noticed some slight behavior changes but not enough to alarm me. She stopped launching herself out of the coop and took the long way out of going down two ladders instead and chose to rest more. SHE KNEW that she was dying and set herself down to sleep in the yard and closed her eyes. My mom spotted her and picked her up without a fight and then the poor girl blinked for the last time and died right there. :hit I'm litteraly crying thinking about it.

Thank you everybody for your kind words! My roosters name was Daffy and I loved him very much. He was a super sweet boy, gentle with people and a great protector of his hens. He was so handsome and adorable with his fuzzy legs and rear end! He is greatly missed already.

I'm so sorry that your boy had to be put to sleep. He was a gorgeous bird. Sometimes there are congenital defects that no matter how observant we are, we cannot see. This was probably one of them.

Plus you have to remember that chickens are the great pretenders. They can pretend to be the picture of health when they aren't. It's their survival instinct at play.

Rest assured that you did all you could for your rooster. He was so lucky to have you in his life. Sometimes the last gift of love you can give them is to let their little spirits fly free.

Thank you microchick for reminding me that chickens are masters at hiding their symptoms. He really was a great pretender until that last day, when I saw him open mouth breathing. Until then, the only thing different had been the sound of his crow. I am still a relatively new chicken owner (3 ½ yrs now) so I am still learning, I do feel guilty, I worry that he was suffering and I couldn't tell, so your kind words help remind me that I did the best I could, and I do hope he had a wonderful life with me!

Back
Top Bottom