A chicken laid chicken!!!

GitaBooks

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2015
USA
Now, I know that hens can lay meat spots and soft eggs,and malformed eggs and eggs can rot and all those nasty things, but today I found an egg in the nest box (not sure quite how old because I never looked that close in the nest boxes for such an unobvious egg) and found this!

Soft-shelled, not terrible smelling, and with what appeared to be cooked chicken inside of it! I know it isn't cooked chicken, but could a hen really lay that much of her insides in an egg and survive?

Torn open

How I found it

So gross!!

Thanks for that, I was so confused.
smile.png
I've never got one of those before in all the years I've kept chickens. Just shows there are always new things to learn about chickens.

I am so glad I already ate breakfast before clicking on that link. That one looked like some funky deli meat!!
sickbyc.gif

Humans can produce something along those lines too, with dermoid cysts that contain hair teeth and bones etc. Although it is not caused by an infection.

Bodies can do some weird and disturbing things, both human and animal!!

So, according to that, it is very hard to heal a chicken suffering from the infection that causes lash eggs. So, would it be best just to get rid of her? And would it still be safe to eat her? I'm pretty sure its my leghorn that's been acting unusual (slower, standing around more, standing with her tail held in an odd position).

So, according to that, it is very hard to heal a chicken suffering from the infection that causes lash eggs. So, would it be best just to get rid of her? And would it still be safe to eat her? I'm pretty sure its my leghorn that's been acting unusual (slower, standing around more, standing with her tail held in an odd position).
I think that if she is acting like she is, and laying eggs that look that terrible, it would be kinder to euthanize her. I normally like to let animals work it out, but this sounds pretty futile. And contagious. I do not know about eating her.

One of my girls laid something that looked like that too, this weekend. We didn't know what it was but it looked like cooked chicken flesh too. Unfortunately we found our girl dead though. :( Her vent was wide open (like silver dollar size) so apparently whatever hers was killed her. Broke my heart for her. So I hope your girl is doing ok and you didn't have to put her down or she didn't lay another one of those things. I'm glad I found this post though because I had NO IDEA what that creature was that came out of her.

One of my girls laid something that looked like that too, this weekend. We didn't know what it was but it looked like cooked chicken flesh too. Unfortunately we found our girl dead though. :( Her vent was wide open (like silver dollar size) so apparently whatever hers was killed her. Broke my heart for her. So I hope your girl is doing ok and you didn't have to put her down or she didn't lay another one of those things. I'm glad I found this post though because I had NO IDEA what that creature was that came out of her.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

So far, our hen seems to be doing okay. However, she isn't laying for the winter (most of the hens here aren't as we haven't set up their lights yet, since they are in molt right now) so we can't be sure if this will continue or not.

Unfortunately, I believe I lost Otis this morning to her infection. While I can't tell my two leghorns apart, I believe Otis was the hen that suffered a prolapse and the pus-egg. Up until the last day she seemed healthy and content to enjoy her food and run about with the others, so I'm glad she wasn't suffering. I found her dead on her perch when I went out to care for them.
It is so different to have a chicken die from a disease then when you butcher them. Because of money issues we have had to butcher many of the chickens I have and we were planning to get rid of Otis this way as well, but to loose her this way is just so different.

Back
Top Bottom