A Cluckwork Fluck

Cluckwork Orange

Chirping
Jun 22, 2023
(a picture dump/flock journal thread.)

basic goal is a traditional flock of free-rangeish chickens(fenced, but spacious and wooded), preferably big enough to be its own heater in the winter, preferably with lots of down, preferably barred.
must endure 20 below without heat, bonus for enthusiastic foraging, bonus for being generally kind and floofy.

flock breeeding the first generation (maybe two, we'll see), then 3 clans is the plan.

original birds from cackle hatchery last year:

11 production barred rock females

6 "surplus blue egger females" which ended up being:
2 lavender? blue? ameraucana
2 splash ameraucana
2 cc legbar

17 mixed run barred standard cochins
10 F
7 M

the production rocks are vigorous, but on the small side with too much comb, and a bit grumpier than a rock should be. almost daily layers, though. and they're jump on you shoulder and peck your eyball friendly.
the cochins are cochins, through and through. big, fluffy, tug on your pantleg until you squat down and then they jump in your lap friendly.
the ameraucanas are not particularly fiendly, but lay a fair amount of eggs, are cute, and being to track the first couple generations by egg color is a bonus.
the legbars are regular layers, but super skittish, egg color, yada yada...

anyway, some pics.

6.5-7 ft 1x1 galvanized fence (7.5ft, but skirted outward a bit)
52976704359_1d1b1fca62_o.jpg

one of the cochin/rock crosses born this february has claimed this tree.
52976521406_60a7774784_o.jpg

probable future alpha, cochin/rock born in feb.

I like his silhouette, and he's quite solid under the fluff. feather texture is right inbetween the cochins and the rocks (which is about where I want it)
52996004436_15d66c6734_o.jpg

the april born amerau-cochins are the only ones out looking for worms in the evening rainshower.
I don't blame the pure cochins for staying dry, but everyone else should be ashamed.

52996973214_796c1e60b6_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom