Papa's Poultry Legbar or Bielefelder Rooster Temperament?

mchickies

Chirping
Mar 4, 2022
Hello everyone!

I'm considering ordering chicks from Papa's Poultry in CA. He has great reviews overall and the quality seems to be amazing. Now, I'm going to order an auto-sexing breed simply because I currently have a flock of 9 Barred Rock hens, and want a specific amount of hens and one rooster. I will probably get a mix of Crested Cream Legbar hens and these "Bielefelder" mixes (apparently they're not quite Bielefelders, if you read the description...maybe some Rhodebar in there). I need a rooster that will be very sweet and get along well with my current flock (i.e. not become a tyrant :p). So, which of these two breeds is my best bet? Papa's Crested Cream Legbar roo? Or this "Bielefelder" mix?

Has anyone ever ordered his Bielefelder mix? He claims that they are smaller than his true Bielefelders, lay sooner and better, and are hardier. I don't actually mind that because these birdies will have to withstand the Florida heat; something that I don't think fluffier-type Bielefelders could handle. But, if they are nothing like Bielefelders, I might skip on them in favor of the Legbars. Any reviews for me?

You can’t tell by breed what a rooster is going to be like as an adult. If he’s raised as the lone roo among all those hens they’ll teach him how to behave usually.

Hello everyone!

I'm considering ordering chicks from Papa's Poultry in CA. He has great reviews overall and the quality seems to be amazing. Now, I'm going to order an auto-sexing breed simply because I currently have a flock of 9 Barred Rock hens, and want a specific amount of hens and one rooster. I will probably get a mix of Crested Cream Legbar hens and these "Bielefelder" mixes (apparently they're not quite Bielefelders, if you read the description...maybe some Rhodebar in there). I need a rooster that will be very sweet and get along well with my current flock (i.e. not become a tyrant :p). So, which of these two breeds is my best bet? Papa's Crested Cream Legbar roo? Or this "Bielefelder" mix?

Has anyone ever ordered his Bielefelder mix? He claims that they are smaller than his true Bielefelders, lay sooner and better, and are hardier. I don't actually mind that because these birdies will have to withstand the Florida heat; something that I don't think fluffier-type Bielefelders could handle. But, if they are nothing like Bielefelders, I might skip on them in favor of the Legbars. Any reviews for me?
I have a flock of the pure Bielefelder's and I live over here in the desert in Arizona where the summer Temps can reach 116-F. Mine made it through last summer, and now I am hatching from them.

I have a flock of the pure Bielefelder's and I live over here in the desert in Arizona where the summer Temps can reach 116-F. Mine made it through last summer, and now I am hatching from them.
Thanks for letting me know! It was such a mixed bag as to whether or not they can take the heat. Just curious, where did you get your Bielefelders? Is your rooster nice?

Thanks for letting me know! It was such a mixed bag as to whether or not they can take the heat. Just curious, where did you get your Bielefelders? Is your rooster nice?
I got them as hatching eggs on ebay. Yes, my rooster is nice. I have a younger cockerel in there with him and all of the hens and pullets, and all of them are the Bielefelder's. My rooster Hawkeye isn't mean to any of them, and he walks away when I walk towards him. That is exactly what I want him to do, as I do not make lap pets out of my flock members. Hawkeye calls the girls when I bring treats, and he let's them eat first.

I got them as hatching eggs on ebay. Yes, my rooster is nice. I have a younger cockerel in there with him and all of the hens and pullets, and all of them are the Bielefelder's. My rooster Hawkeye isn't mean to any of them, and he walks away when I walk towards him. That is exactly what I want him to do, as I do not make lap pets out of my flock members. Hawkeye calls the girls when I bring treats, and he let's them eat first.
Ok, just wanna say I love his name! Is it because of the Marvel character or does it have to do with his hawk-spotting abilities :D? Judging from what you say, I'm leaning towards getting the Bielefelder as my rooster. I've heard less stories of them turning aggressive than the Legbars. I'm hoping I can get people who bought Papa's Poultry Legbar roos to chime in for me :fl.

Ok, just wanna say I love his name! Is it because of the Marvel character or does it have to do with his hawk-spotting abilities :D? Judging from what you say, I'm leaning towards getting the Bielefelder as my rooster. I've heard less stories of them turning aggressive than the Legbars. I'm hoping I can get people who bought Papa's Poultry Legbar roos to chime in for me :fl.
He earned his name when he warned about a hawk that got my attention, and I was in the house.

The Legbar that I had before acted much better when he gained freezer statice. He never attacked me again.

Yeah, guessing it's the Leghorn part of the Legbar that makes them that way. I really, really like the look of the Legbar roo-roo (head-poof!), but not sure I'm going to like the look of my ankles and legs when he hit's THAT stage.

Back
Top Bottom