A couple questions if ya'll don't mind about the whole fertile eggs thing...

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My dad's friend asked him if he could have 4 fertile eggs and hatch them as his own. Since he doesn't have a rooster and I do, he has everything needed to incubate the fertile eggs. He's just trying it out to see if he can. We have a couple of questions though.

1. I should buy a candling light thing, right? My Rooster mates out of 6 birds I would say 2 and The one he sai hell like fertile is the one molting so plus its winter not as many eggs.

2. When I get 4 fertile eggs ready for him, how can we keep them warm or still fertile by the next morning and transport them?

I've never done this before so if anyone knows what I'm trying to say, I would really appreciate it for answers!
Please ad anything you think right help me or anything that feels important to know about all this.

1. I should buy a candling light thing, right? My Rooster mates out of 6 birds I would say 2 and The one he sai hell like fertile is the one molting so plus its winter not as many eggs.

2. When I get 4 fertile eggs ready for him, how can we keep them warm or still fertile by the next morning and transport them?
Neither.
You can't tell a fertile by candling, until it has incubated for 3-4 days.
You want to keep the eggs at about 60°F.

If your sure your eggs are fertile(have you looked at blastoderm when opening eggs to eat them?) just keep them fat end up until you get 4, (what 1-2 days?).

My dad's friend asked him if he could have 4 fertile eggs and hatch them as his own. Since he doesn't have a rooster and I do, he has everything needed to incubate the fertile eggs. He's just trying it out to see if he can. We have a couple of questions though.

I've never done this before so if anyone knows what I'm trying to say, I would really appreciate it for answers!
Please ad anything you think right help me or anything that feels important to know about all this.
Hi!
If you aren't the one incubating the eggs, then you don't need to candle them. I just use my phone flashlight to candle, but you won't need to do that. It's just done a couple weeks after incubation to check for development.
Do not keep the eggs you're going to take him warm. They should be stored pointy end down in an egg carton, in a cool room 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit, and as high of humidity in the room as possible. Basements generally work well. The temp or humidity don't have to be exact, just no temp over 65 degrees, and not too low of humidity. Do not refrigerate them.

How far do you need to travel with the eggs?
Make sure your dad's friend checks the temp of his incubator with a calibrated thermometer. What kind of incubator is he using, and has he ever hatched eggs in an incubator before?

Hi!
If you aren't the one incubating the eggs, then you don't need to candle them. I just use my phone flashlight to candle, but you won't need to do that. It's just done a couple weeks after incubation to check for development.
Do not keep the eggs you're going to make him warm. They should be stored pointy end down in an egg carton, in a cool room 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit, and as high of humidity in the room as possible. Basements generally work well. The temp or humidity don't have to be exact, just no temp over 65 degrees, and not too low of humidity. Do not refrigerate them.

How far do you need to travel with the eggs?
Make sure your dad's friend checks the temp of his incubator with a calibrated thermometer. What kind of incubator is he using, and has he ever hatched eggs in an incubator before?
I believe our basement is that temp Ill have to figure that out. My only problem is when I collect the eggs there all ready icey cold from the cole temps so what do I do then? I think this is his first time as he wants to see if he will be able to hatch them. Um, the travel farness is probably 45 to an hour I believe.

I believe our basement is that temp Ill have to figure that out. My only problem is when I collect the eggs there all ready icey cold from the cole temps so what do I do then? I think this is his first time as he wants to see if he will be able to hatch them. Um, the travel farness is probably 45 to an hour I believe.
Ok. 👍
Collect them as soon as possible in the morning.
They'll be fine, you don't want them going from cold temps to warm temps and sweating.
To transport them just put them in a carton and wrap it in a thick blanket to keep them from getting jostled too much, and hold them on your lap if you can.

Back
Top Bottom