A fastener or bracket to attach cattle panel to door frame

Here are the pictures from the website since it sounds like it's not working.

Link worked for me.......if these are within your budget they are an excellent choice.
I agree wholeheartedly to use screws for 'adjustability' and accuracy.<thumbsup>

Thank you everyone! After all the great advice, I visited the local hardware store to see if they carried something different than Lowes/Home Depot. They didn't have any brackets but they had poultry nails which are a smaller gauge fencing nail. I got them because I thought they would be easier to drive in so I could tack the panels up. They didn't work well with the pressure treated wood and actually fell out after I'd hammered it in. Since I want to finish the coop..... I went with what I had and used fencing nails. I'll be on the lookout for good brackets to use for my next coop project.

Pictures of the cattle panels nailed on to the front of the hoop coop. Now I'm on to the next quandary. I thought, once I got this far, it'd be cover in hardware cloth and tarp and done! But nooooooo......

The design I followed recommended matching the cattle panels as best you can at the bottom of the hoop coop and then bend the excess around the sides. The blogger stated "This takes considerable hand strength." First, I'll say that I love him, his design, his blog, but that was a joke of a statement. Maybe my cattle panels are a different gauge too? It took considerable hand strength, all the pliers and wrenches I have, leverage, and eventually I pulled out the BiggAzz channellock (they have that etched on the side). I think by that point, I was feeling frustrated and a tiny bit defeated, I gladly accepted help from a male. (We both have our own things we are working on this weekend but he stepped in to help when he saw me struggling) My grip strength had tapped out.

So now the extra ends are bent around and the blog I'm following just keeps moving forward like that part is done. Ha! As I write this, I'm wondering if there's some sort of plastic/rubber tip I could fit over the ends. They are sharp. What would you do with the extra ends?

Those are nice! Your local home improvement store(s) doesn't carry anything like that? What about conduit clamps. They come in several sizes and run about $1 a piece. You would just have to add screws.
66588.jpg
Link worked for me.......if these are within your budget they are an excellent choice. I agree wholeheartedly to use screws for 'adjustability' and accuracy.
I ended up holding the panel up and in place with zip ties while I hammer the fencing nails in.

Glad to know you got it figured out by yourself. That is definitely one of those situations where more hands would otherwise come in handy.

Does this mean your hoop coop is all ready for chickens?

Glad to know you got it figured out by yourself. That is definitely one of those situations where more hands would otherwise come in handy.

Does this mean your hoop coop is all ready for chickens?

Not quite ready trailrider.... I still need to cover it with hardware cloth and a tarp. Oh and put the door latches on. I'm going to put a door handle on to make it easier to open and close. That will be nifty. The chicks are almost 2 weeks old (tomorrow). I think the coop will be ready for them when they're ready for it. I'm in the homestretch!

Any ideas for what to to with all the ends of cattle panel? I think I'm going to head out in a moment and start by sanding the edges. They are very sharp. Both of us were bleeding yesterday from tiny little razor cut they produce if you're not careful.

I just saw this thread. What I would have suggested is to take a strip of wood maybe ¾” to 1” thick and cover the end of the cow panel with that. Drill pilot holes and screw it in, not so tight to split the wood but tight enough to clamp it down. If you put your screws inside the wire it won’t come out. That’s generally how I install hardware cloth, 2x4 welded wire, stuff like that. You can even use fender washers if you want to help keep it from splitting if the wood is too thin but go with some extra thickness. It’s not going anywhere.

The other advantage to this is that the sharp edges of the wire are covered. You don’t snag your skin or your clothes on those sharp ends. You may still want to do something like this.

On the heavier posts where you have something solid to nail into, I suggest 1-1/4” fencing staples, not the ¾” poultry staples. The ¾” staples are to put up chicken wire to keep poultry in, not keep predators out. But what you nail into needs to be pretty substantial. If it is too small it can split. If it is too flimsy it will vibrate and you can’t nail into it. Screws are definitely the way to go here. And don’t be afraid to drill pilot holes. That makes life a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom