A FIX to messy food and water containers in Brooder Boxes

I raised the height to 4". My support ring has a smooth end facing down (to the floor) and I left the top of the ring with the spiked portion (Pins Up) to keep the containers from sliding around. If you make the ring a bit smaller than the bottom of the watering tray or food dish; it fits nicely under the units. The reason I leave the spiked prongs up (not cut off) is to grab the surface of the trays and keep them from moving side to side or become tilted. A level watering unit will not empty if positioned correctly.

The other way I managed the food and watering units (glass mason jars screwed into a plastic base) was to use the 2" covers from my blank Computer CD Discs. I put the open side down, and on the top; flat portion, I placed some rubber like mat used in a kitchen drawer or shelves. The mat material grabs the surface and keeps anything that comes in contact with it; stuck to its surface.

Yes, pics please! I am not able to visualize anything you've described so far in your posts, sounds like I am not the only one. I love seeing other's ingenuity, a couple of photos would really help!

Last edited:
The way I read it is to get your small mesh wire. Cut it into a rectangle that is 3 or 4 inches wide by 12 inches long. connect the two short ends, creating a circle. If you plan ahead, you can cut it so that one end the cuts are flush to the perpendicular wire and the other end had longer spikes. Use the spiked end to curl around the flush end to secure it into a circle. When you cut your wire, you will have some spikey ends on the lengthwise cut. Don't cut these off, but leave them sticking up to kind of pin the base of the waterer and stop it from sliding around. This is a great idea, I can see it holding the waterer out in the yard off the ground ( I get mold underneath it out in the grass). Plan to get on this asap. Thanks for the great idea!

For those who have open-top brooders who wish to hang a water bottle, the solution is simple. Drill or cut slots into the sides of the brooder box near the top and slip a dowel or stick through the slots. You now have a mechanism from which to hang your bottles.

This has worked wonderfully for me in keeping wood shavings out of the water tray as well as preventing water spills.

Back
Top Bottom