A-frame (ark) coop question

Delphinium

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Northern AZ
We just entered the world of BYC and are in the process of deciding on a coop design. We are leaning toward the A-frame design, but I am wondering about the nest boxes and roosts. I read in another thread that the roosts should be higher than the nest boxes... how does this work in an A-frame (ark) design? We are thinking of building something similar to this: http://catawbacoops.com/

welcome-byc.gif

Roost should be higher than your nest boxes, or the chickens will sleep in the boxes. Sorry, cannot help with the A frame - I have an 8x8 square coop.

We started with one. As the girls got bigger (Two easter eggers and two black sex links) they didn't want to go inside the coop, it was too cramped for them, no head room. I would only use it for banties, or make it bigger. Click on my BYC page to see the new one.

My first coop was an A-frame, and truthfully, it's very cute but not really very practical. They said it would fit 5-7 chickens, but I would say only 3 standard sized, or maybe 5 bantys.......No room for real roosts.

Cute as heck though, and great if you only want a couple of chickens, although if the chicken bug bites you, you'll want more and more......
lol.png

I have two A frames...I agree they would be ideal for banty's or young chicks...but you could build it taller. We realized after building ours that it would have been better to roof the top and have it also serve as the nesting area. The nest box sitting on the ground is a bad plan...they rot and animals like to try to get in and eat your feed. I roofed run is the BEST to keep the rain & snow out and it also gives them shade from the sun during the heat of summer! I would say actual "roosts" would be kind of difficult to build in an ark. But all of my girls have lived without roosts and I never heard them complain!
tongue.png
I like using shavings in my nest boxes...I line the bottom with laminate stick tiles so when it comes time to clean out the shavings it's simple! I'll attach the pics of our first two A frames...I use them as breeding pens or grower pens for Mama & babies now. They were cheap & easy to build! I would use hardware cloth...our chicken wire looks HORRIBLE after this winter! I toss either hay or straw in the "run" part and they have a blast working it into the ground...by the end of the month it's down to dirt again and I toss in more hay. It keeps the ground high and dry (no mud issues)..and keeps them cleaner too.
thumbsup.gif

43069_september_2009_016.jpg

43069_september_2009_015.jpg

Here is a pic of my newest coop...I like it much better than my A frames b/c the nesting box is up high off the ground and I LOVE the walk in door and roofed run!
43069_spring_2010_silkies_001.jpg

Mine aren't fancy...but some T11 and paint could make them STYLISH!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the replies and suggestions! I think we ruled out an ark/a-frame design, although they are cute. My dh is pouring over other designs to find one that will suit us best. We will have 4 chickens (if they are all female) and need to keep our coop below the fence line... we asked our neighbors if they had objections to BYC, and they didn't
smile.png
, but our HOA does have restrictions against farm animals... but our girls are pets, right?
wink.png

My hubby and I have 2 A-frame coops. We love them as we need to move them around the yard and it makes it very easy. We have a roost and nesting boxes in ours. The girls sleep on their roosts everynight with no problems. The nexting boxes are the same level as the floor in the first one, but will be higher in the new coop. The girls that are laying and are in the first coop we built don't seem to mind them being floor level though. The fenced and covered run is nice, don't have to worry about them getting wet or snowed on. Also, if something gets through the fence, they can't easily get to the girls up in the coop, with the ramp up and the door shut.

Don't rule out 'A Frame'chicken tractor. Yes the premade ones you buy are often too small. I however built a bigger one and have plenty of room for my 6 heritage breed hens. If you factor 9" minimum roosting space per bird and then 3sq.ft. per bird ...it's hard to find the same small footprint that an 'A frame' uses.

To get the same coop and run in another design uses a bigger area in your yard. At 7'long X 5' tall X 5' wide its bigger than my wife liked but it gives the hens a 36"X36" triangle that's 7' long to live in. Then there plenty of room in a 5'X7' run under them. The roost pole is diagonal abou 4.5' long.

I will try to post pics tomorrow.

I looked at the ARK coop/runs. After seeing one in person, I felt it would be too cramped for the birds. In my neighborhood, it will be rare that they get to free range in the yard and will spend 99% of the time in the coop/run. After looking over many different designs, I decided to go with this... I did not buy a plan, just thought about it and talked with lots of folks. The one addition since these pictures is to add landscape cloth then top off the 1/4" screened rock floor with sand (local nursery for $14/yard)

53005_p1230830.jpeg

53005_p1230839.jpeg

53005_p1230833.jpeg

53005_p1230837.jpeg

There is no right or wrong answer when planning your chicken's new home. Different people have different wants & needs. My requirements were 1) low maintenance, 2) clean & auto watering system, 3) hanging feeder with 40# capacity, 4) predator proof, 5) easy to clean up poop, 6) low odor, 7) easy access for cleaning, 8) easy access for eggs, 9) dry flooring.

Best of luck with your design & build. Please post pics of what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom