Coco: olive egger lots of brown cuckoo patterns

Cosmo: olive egger mostly black with some white dots here and there

Stormy: olive egger dark grey and black color

Lacey: gold laced Wyendotte

Goldie: gold laced Wyendotte

Sylvie: silver laced Wyendotte

Gena: jersey giant named after the Gena that Bon Jovi sang about

Snow White: light Brahma female

Prince Charming: Brahma male we think. it’s still early but definitely looks to have very developed comb and wattles

Oster: barn yard mix. This one I hatched from an egg in a homemade incubator. The incubator was made from an Oster brand toaster oven.

When we're naming out birds, we either try to go with a theme, a name changes due to mispronunciations that stick, let the names be a characteristic of the chicken, or just let them happen.

With our Salmon Faverolles, all of ours were given L names, to match with our Faverolle, Lily. We had Lily, Leo, Leah, and Lilah. The Porcelain D'Uccles that we had were Drizzle, Honeycomb, and Nectar. All of the Mottled Cochins were after constellations; Aquila, Gemini, and Aries (originally Ursa). The Egyptian Fayoumis were Trouble and Mischief, and before them was Frostbite and Snowfall.
The mispronunciations always were unexpected, but I've enjoyed the surprises that they have given us. Nieva turned into Nevara, Smoky into Snoopy, and just this past year a nine toed chick went from Nona to Nova.
Misty, with her blue feathers, looked like a misty sky. Dally took a whole extra two days incubating, so he was either going to be Dilly if a hen or Dally if a rooster. Pippin was the first to pip in his clutch. Sunda is half Sumatra, so I decided to make his name a reference to his mother.
Some of the names that just happened are Cinnamon, Chia, Friday, Mango, Red, Eclipse, Little Linda, and Chipmunk.

For me, I name mine based on their personality, and sometimes after fruits, flowers, and veggies. Really, you just gotta find something that sticks.

Tomatilla-my prairie bluebell egger
Bananas- my hen that is bananas
Lhicken- because she is a chicken
Sam- because I thought Samuel but shortened it to Sam
Nekbother- He is a rooster with a bother to his neck. He sounds like he has a frog in his throat.
Snowflake-white hen of days gone by
Mrs Clean-egg- white hen that lays many clean eggs but due to vent gleet she isn't laying anymore
Samantha- because she looks like Sam
Bananito- a kind of tiny banana, which really fits her. she is tiny

Mostly they pick up new names as they go. The leader of the flock, who is a Rhode Island Red, is just called Red but picked up the name Napoleon of Animal Farm fame. The hens of breeds that all look the same usually end up with a group name until more unique traits appear to tell them a part. One of my Australorps is literally named Bald because of her tendency to lose feathers on her head (they come and go). Blondie was named after her feather pattern. We've also got some named after Breaking Bad characters. There definitely is no thought out process lol.

Back
Top Bottom