A good distraction

cookinmom

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
Saint George GA
HI All!
So glad the forum is here -- I need a distraction right about now. These dang wildfires are just getting too close for comfort. My husband works at a restaurant in Folkston, and tonight they had to close early because some of the waitresses had to go home and get their stuff together to be evacuated from their homes. This is all from the great big 100,000+ acre fire that's been going since last month. Now we have a new fire out to the west of us. Earlier the winds were working in our favor. Hopefully that will continue. I really don't want to be evacuated! I guess I'd just have to fill the chickens feeder to the top, put out extra pans of water for 'em and hope for the best. We're praying that it doesn't come to that.

Well, y'all have a good night. I'm gonna go read posts about baby chickens!
Valerie

I can understand. Last year we were burning here in Oklahoma. Really scary when you smell the smoke blowing at your house. We had one close call but got lucky. Now we have flooding and tornados and the fires were worse. Good Luck to you and all there. I got new babies today what a great distraction.

OH MY!
yes we did have some awful fires here in oklahoma...we had 3 close calls here in oct nov and dec or ja i forget but tooo close:(

if it gets very close be sure to let ur chickens loose...we dont want any fried or baked chickens lol (sorry)

let us know that ur ok if u do have to leave goodluck:)

Got a little bit of good news for us, bad for some others though. The Church of God down the street is on standby in case they need another shelter for people being evacuated from other parts of the county. I guess they wouldn't put a shelter here if they thought we'd be evacuated.
This is really crazy!

keep safe!

very scary....
hugs.gif

Yesterday the smoke was so bad it blocked out the sun here in Ocala and the sky was all yellow haze. The smell was so bad I had a headache all day yesterday. Then my daughter came in from outside and said mommy it looks like its snowing. All the ash from the fires is falling and its all over the cars. The ash was coming down in pretty big flakes too. But this morning the wind shifted and the sky is pretty clear and the smell is alot better. Hope they get it contained pretty soon.

PIvy - How far is the Bradford/Alachua fire from you guys?
Our elderly neighbors are staying with their daughter in Keystone, and I'm a bit worried about them.

Very good news for us now -- the Fire Dept has set up at the church across the street as a staging area! Now we'll be the safest people in Charlton County!
Thanks for the kind words y'all. You are the nicest people ever. I love it here!
hugs.gif
to all!

I'll start up a raindance for all the folks with fires and a sundance for all the folks with floods...
Poison Ivy, my dad lives in Ocala. I didn't realize FL was having the fires too...

Back
Top Bottom