A hard lesson learned about chickens and pit bull not mixing well

ANY dog can be dangerous and harmful to other animals, (yes even chihuahuas) without training(being the key word)! Lol

Sorry about your feathered one BTW!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I totally understand where you're coming from! When I first got my first chickens, my father in laws lab killed my buff roo. Then, my rottweiler killed our only grown duck. TODAY my father in laws lab ate my only 3 geese eggs from the nest. We finally got the chihuahuas and min pins and jack russell to leave them alone, not having such good luck with the lab, the rottweiler and the two pit bulls. lol

Any dog..and i mean ANY dog. Will go after a squeaky,squaking, running bird if not trained NOT to go after them. Its their instinct. Has nothing to do with it being a pitt bull. My sissy Saint Bernard jumped my deck gate and went after my birds once. Shes not a vicious breed..or an agressive dog at all....she just thought it was fun to chase the birds and nip them and pull out their feathers and make them squak.. They didnt think she was so funny...
hmm.png

Okay I have never posted before, but just felt the need to post on this topic. I agree with everyone, ANY dog could attack chickens if not trained properly. But I have to say, Pitbulls are known to be more aggressive. My neighbor has Arabian horses and two Pitbulls went into the barn and jumped over the stall doors and killed one of their horses. Be VERY careful with your daughter's dog.

I too, am very sorry for the loss of your roo.
sad.png

Last edited:
I have 3 pits all from the same litter. Two of them would not touch anything unless we told them. The other one has a mind of his own. We always keep an eye on that one. All dogs have different personalities (no matter what breed). Training and carefull watching is what is needed. All dogs have the chase instinct, you need to train them what they can chase and what they can not chase, or not chase anything at all. Check with your county to see if they have any low cost training classes, or maybe ask your veterinerian.

I just remebered something that happened last year. I hatched some buff orps for a lady. we even hand delivered the chicks to her house. She called me up a few days later and said her miniature dashhund went into her kids closet and killed 1 of the chicks. I heard a lot of stories about mini dogs that are more aggressive then big dogs. Their was also something about florida banning saint benards because of the movie "cujo".

The wait is over!! The roo made it.
celebrate.gif
He lost his tail feathers again but he's alive. His crowing sounds kinda strange but hopefully he'll return to normal soon. What a relief!

Back
Top Bottom