a hatch along for people who set their eggs on march thursday 27 2014

yeah I hear you! I am off work today, and find myself walking over to look through the window on the bator to see if there is anymore progress every 10 minutes!!! . I can see one that has pipped and can see a little beak poke out a hole the size of a pencil eraser....but it's been this way since about 11am today...wondering how long I should wait until I "help" and carefully pull away some more shell. Also I have two more eggs with long "cracks", just thin, like the width of a hair near the air sac..so I am hoping these are the beginnings of a couple more "pips"

I got 9 chicks so far! I found one dead inside of its shell though. I think it suffocated inside of the shell. They are all doing good except for one who has splayed feet. I am fixing the little guys feet with some band aids.

Cool. I have two "pipped" right now....when should I intervene? The first one pipped about 11am this morning, and right now has a good size hole, about the size of a dime open and occasionally pokes it's beak out, but has NOT zipped the shell yet..he just sticks his beak out and chirps. Should I take the egg out and remove some of that end of the shell???

I have 2 chicks that were like that. The one I left alone for about 12hrs. and peeled off a little bit of the shell around the hole. But then it made no progress, so I had to help it out of its shell 12hrs. later. So it took 24 hrs. total. The second one a left alone and it ended up getting a bigger hole. You just have to wait and see if it makes any progress. I would suggest waiting till tomorrow morning, or later tonight. Depending on what you think is right.

well I had 5 of the 13 hatch today. I know 3 in the bator are "duds", so there are 5 more "hopefuls" for tonight or tomorrow. We'll see.

I have the 5 in my brooder now, and it's set up in a large rubbermaid, with a heat lamp at one end, where the temp at floor level is about 93F..and at the other end of the rubbermaid, the temp is at about 81F.....is this good, or should I get it cooler at one end?

Didn't get this sent 4/16/14 Good News! I have one chicks so far. I came home to an egg with a tiny little hole. Went and did other chickie chores and it was starting to unzip. Within an hour of coming home, it was out.

Update: 4/17/14 Have 5 out now. Last one is drying and I'm trying to get brooder up to temp. It's only hovering at 88 and I'd like to be closer to 95.

CG

Well of my 16 eggs, I ended up with 4 alive. One hatched with exposed yolk but died the next day. The rest didn't hatch. Eggtopsied the unhatched. Started with the 6 ?'s. One had a tiny black speck but no veins, while the rest didn't look like they had started. One had a black blob when candling -it started but quit within the first week. Then, I decided to check the others. 2 had quit around day 15 or so. Definitely no yolk absorption. The last two looked like they died recently. One didn't break the membrane but the other did. It looked like it was too close to the middle of the egg and the air cell went way down the side. I'm guessing it couldn't get into a proper hatching position. So I've got 4 good chicks; hopefully they're not all boys.

CG

4 BLRW sleeping with three white EEs.

I hatched 31 out of 43. They seem to be doing well.

Back
Top Bottom