A hen who cant hold herself up

Thank you ladies. I looked up egg yolk peritonitis and that might be it. It doesn't sound too good however I did come across a thread on here where someone tried Durimycin 10 and they came around. Maybe that wasn't what their bird had. Idk, but I broke down the formula to 11 oz, pulled the patient out of her crate and managed to get some down. I'll be able to separate her tomorrow morning and try some more treatment, keeping my fingers crossed. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again. Great website. Wealth of knowledge.

She may possibly have worms, tapeworms often break off into small segments - that might cause her to plunk her butt down and then back up. It just doesn't feel right to her. Have you also checked for mites or lice? I hope she will be okay.

Vegetable oil is not water soluble so residue can cause a lot of bacteria to grow. You probably could have used some plain ky jelly. In the olden days it was used to lubricate a thermometer and even today it is used in exams. It will wash away with water.

Thanks drumstick. I looked for worms and looked for lice/mites but I'll continue to check when I have a chance again in daylight. Birds are something I'm still learning about. The VO worked on the dog when she was blocked so I went for it. Now I know better. Thanks again for your 2 cents :)

I got home from work and she's still alive. She doesn't hold herself up. If you let her go she falls flat on her face. Heres some pics of her vent, todays feces, her head, and legs. I started her on Duramycin 10 but I'm thinking it will be to no avail. Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time, Colleen

I have a pulley who hasn't started laying yet and she is doing the same thing, started here days ago and is progressively getting worse. First day she was walking with a real bad limo favoring her left leg. I separated her from flock and gave own water and feed and she's getting worse every day. She can't stand up right now, flaps her wings a little bit and is real lethargic. Still eatin and drinking and pooping but doesn't look good. I don't know what the problem is. She was vaccinated for Marks's and Coccicisoous at birth so I would assume it can't be that. She's about 15 week old Barred Rick

Eagrbeavr, egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying can be difficult to diagnose without a vet Xray or until after death when a necropsy is done. The best thing is to make sure she eats and drinks normally, and try to keep her as healthy as possible by worming, and checking her over for anything unusual. Leg us know how she gets along.

she's only 15 weeks old, hasn't even layed an egg yet, could egg yolk peritonitis happen this young?

she's only 15 weeks old, hasn't even layed an egg yet, could egg yolk peritonitis happen this young?

I was responding to Eagrbeavr about EYP, but it can help to start a new thread of your own, so that there is no confusion about which chicken we are discussing.
Neal84, I would add vitamins and electrolytes, available at most feed stores, to her water. Vitamin deficiencies can be common and may affect walking. Make sure that she is getting enough to eat and drink, since she might not be able to get to her water and feed with her leg troubles, or is being bullied. Placing her in a crate or basket might be a good idea for a couple of days. Watch her droppings, put a little probiotic plain yogurt in her feed. What do her droppings look like? Check her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft or hard. If a vet will look at some fresh droppings for cocci and worms, it might help. Even with vaccinations, some may still get sick.

Back
Top Bottom