>~* A Howl At Midnight>~* A FORGOTTEN DOGS ROLEPLAY!

Seated at the front of the anxious group, Hawk dipped his head deeply in appreciation for Birch's directives. He was internally pleased that she'd happened to word her commands so similarly to his earlier orders, but that was a matter of simple irony for another day. "Night and Faylane have already taken up posts at camp's perimeter, but I suggest that we continue to post additional sentries, Alpha."

Breeze had remained at the entrance to the healers' den for the duration of the double announcements, receiving the devastating news with an easy, detached kind of regret she'd developed since the war. It wasn't that she didn't feel the losses; she just couldn't afford to let herself fall into grief's debilitating rut. Now that she was entirely without family, she'd promised herself she'd take advantage of the incredible freedom that liberation brought.
Now she paced forward, planting a paw just ahead of Frost and directing her back toward their den. "You won't be involved in this," she woofed in firm correction to her apprentice's offer to guard. "We're healers and our own line of duty is just as important."

Obsidian's ears immediately perked when he caught sight of his father's ginger sheen. He'd been all but deaf to Alpha's announcement, thanks to fear. But it would all be okay now. He had his parents.
But when he trotted over to Riverfire on legs shaky with relief, he realized that his father had returned alone- there was no black she-dog hidden beside him.
Obsidian's heart immediately sped up, sending a sickeningly erratic pulse throughout his body, but he tried to ignore it. Oh, how he tried to ignore it. "Mom's...not with you?" He couldn't keep his voice from coming out as a pathetic whine.

Raksha sat near the healer's den, watching Breeze and Frost absently. A tiny, needle-sharp breeze lanced her thin pelt. She clenched her jaw in an attempt to hide the shiver that rattled her to no avail.
She swallowed, glancing down at her leg.
The comparatively small gash had swollen, darkened with oozing blood. It looked almost like some parasite had settled in her skin.
"Hey, Breeze," she called, without looking away from her wound. She hated calling the medecine dog; no doubt she would be declared unfit to help protect her pack for now. "Uhh... You might to deal with this thing."

Birch drew in a long breath, looking down at her pack, all there eyes looking up towards him. "As you all know, a rouge killed Silverpup, Dark and Sandstorm." She began, and though her voice was quiet, it sounded to her like it would stretch for miles in the silence. "But it wasn't just them that met their unfortunate fate today. Rain was also killed, and Hollyshadow is missing, presumed dead." A sharp whimper filled the air, and Birch didn't have to look to know it was Squirrelflight.
"It was initially believed that there was only one rouge, but there appears to be at least one other..." She paused, straightening up. "I'm sure Hawk has already told you this, but the camp is on lockdown until dawn. Pups are to stay in their dens. No dog, and I mean no dog, is to leave camp." She paced the length of the flat rock, watching her pack through narrowed eyes. "For those of you who do not wish to heed my words, your fate will rest in your own paws. This isn't a game. These rouges are vicious and it appears they will not hesitate to kill."
She paused her pacing, letting her cold gaze linger over each and every dog, noticing some of them flinch at her stare. When she spoke again, she let each word linger in the air carefully, her tone steady. "Are my words clear?"
Dusk grunted noncommittally from the back of the distraught crowd. She wouldn't make any promises aloud- but between her and herself, she'd being obeying today. In sharp contrast to apparently a solid quarter of the pack, she quite liked her life.
She made her way to the far edge of camp, just behind the belles den, and tuned her senses to the woods beyond. "I'll be here," she announced without turning around.

Compared to most, Autumn took the news stoically. Her tail and ears remained as they were, set high and still. Her thick pelt didn't twitch into individual, agitated hairs. But she kept her square jaw set, stifling the growls that were dying -bad pun- to make themselves known. Someone would have to really look to see past the calm pretense she was suffering with maintaining.
Sure, she'd grieve alright- grieve with her claws and teeth.
Yeah, Alpha, your words are clear. Just until you turn your back.
If you're not going to take initiative against these dastards, I will.

Night listened carefully to Birch's and Hawk's statements, his ears flicking back momentarily in remorse for Rain's and Hollyshadow's apparent deaths. "Alpha, from what I've heard no one knows where Raven, Troutfin, or Water are." He informed her respectfully, tipping his head to the higher ranking dog. He quickly sent a regretful glance back at Obsidian and Riverfire, before turning back to Birch.

Seeker watched her alpha dutifully as Birch announced the deaths to a very scattered River Pack, her own eyes acting as windows to her seemingly dead inside emotions. "I can take up a post." She barked, her voice a rather bland tone.

Frost looked back at her packtor, her ears pinned back to her head in submission. "I just... Okay, Breeze. I'm sorry." She murmured, beginning to follow the already equally big she-dog back to the healer's den.

Raksha sat near the healer's den, watching Breeze and Frost absently. A tiny, needle-sharp breeze lanced her thin pelt. She clenched her jaw in an attempt to hide the shiver that rattled her to no avail.
The comparatively small gash had swollen, darkened with oozing blood. It looked almost like some parasite had settled in her skin.
"Hey, Breeze," she called, without looking away from her wound. She hated calling the medecine dog; no doubt she would be declared unfit to help protect her pack for now. "Uhh... You might to deal with this thing."
Breeze shook her elegant head dismissively. "It feels only right to help in any way you can- trust me, I know." She gave Frost a fond look, hoping to bring her out of the submission she'd accidentally encouraged. Sure, she'd become more harsh as of late, but she didn't want to do that to her apprentice. "But I promise you that you're doing more than enough where you are."
Breeze's head whipped around and immediately began scanning Raksha- automatic examination had become to her as breathing was to others. When her eyes reached the afflicted leg, she let out a groan. "Raksha," she greeted through gritted teeth, already nudging the elite huntress past them and beneath their tree. "By the paws of Procyon, why didn't you come to us before?"

Breeze shook her elegant head dismissively. "It feels only right to help in any way you can- trust me, I know." She gave Frost a fond look, hoping to bring her out of the submission she'd accidentally encouraged. Sure, she'd become more harsh as of late, but she didn't want to do that to her apprentice. "But I promise you that you're doing more than enough where you are."
Breeze's head whipped around and immediately began scanning Raksha- automatic examination had become to her as breathing was to others. When her eyes reached the afflicted leg, she let out a groan. "Raksha," she greeted through gritted teeth, already nudging the elite huntress past them and beneath their tree. "By the paws of Procyon, why didn't you come to us before?"

Raksha let Breeze steer her. "It was fine before," she grumbled. "I think it's probably infected..." She laid down, resting her head on her good leg. "I just... I wouldn't worry about it, but I kinda need my legs," she joked weakly.

"Troutfin is dead," Riverfire barked in response to Night. "A gray he-wolf with yellow eyes killed him." His voice became more of a growl as he once again felt the anger towards Troutfin's killer ignite inside of him.
Birch dipped her head in response to Hawk's suggestion, looking up towards Seeker. "Thank you, Seeker. And you are right, Hawk."
She swung her muzzle around, looking blankly at Night. "If they haven't returned, then there's nothing we can do." She lowered her head almost guiltily. "I'm sorry."
Night's fur rose in momentary sorrow, before he shook it out to smooth it. Giving a silent nod to Riverfire, he turned and dipped his head to Birch. "I'll take up a post behind the pup's den." He barked quickly, turning and trotting around to the backside of the ash tree. Nothing's going to hurt Greypup or Snappup. He thought, his lemon colored eyes staring into the darkened forest with an unwavering intensity.

Seeker shrugged, giving Birch a fleeting glance. "I'll be behind the hunter's den." She mumbled, quickly taking up a place behind the large den, curling her bushy tail around her bony haunches for even the slightest bit of extra comfort.
Raksha let Breeze steer her. "It was fine before," she grumbled. "I think it's probably infected..." She laid down, resting her head on her good leg. "I just... I wouldn't worry about it, but I kinda need my legs," she joked weakly.
Frost nodded, comforted by her packtor's words. "I know. I just can't believe they're gone."
As Raksha called for Breeze, she trotted up to the hunter to also inspect her wound. "That looks bad. We can take care of it though, ya'know, just to make sure you're still the fastest runner around." She said, trying to lighten Raksha's mood. "Breeze, um, Marigold leaves would be better for this than chervil juice, right? Should I get willow bark to ease the pain?"
Blanket retracted her paw, suddenly made uncomfortable by the fact that he was mirroring her movements. "Well I suppose we should put these on the prey pile then." She scooped up her pair of fish and nudged the salmon with her grey nose. The delicious scent overtook her nose. This shaggy dog probably had no idea, but salmon was by far her favorite fish, being the most flavorful of the bunch and tasting the most unlike the awful kibbles she endured in the puppy mill. (I say prey pile because all of the belles and elders are NPCs)
She looked around, fish still in her jaws. Is there even a prey pile? Probably not. After all we've been through, no one's bothered to restock it. She spit the fish back on the ground by the salmon. "Change of plans. Prey pile." Blanket nudged the fish into a more pile-ish shape, though she didn't have a measure-able amount of success, due to the small quantity of stuff.
With a failed escape tactic, Blanket was faced with the very real threat of more awkwardness. As she returned to the water, she scooted farther away from Shade, put a vast amount of space between them.
As she tried to focus on the task at hand, Blanket felt eyes on her pelt. "What do you want?" she asked.
Shade watched her fidget around with the fish, then proceed to sit farther away from him. "I just... Was trying to introduce myself to another pack-mate? It's been... Ya'know, I wanted to try to cheer someone up." He said, frowning.

Night's fur rose in momentary sorrow, before he shook it out to smooth it. Giving a silent nod to Riverfire, he turned and dipped his head to Birch. "I'll take up a post behind the pup's den." He barked quickly, turning and trotting around to the backside of the ash tree. Nothing's going to hurt Greypup or Snappup. He thought, his lemon colored eyes staring into the darkened forest with an unwavering intensity.

Seeker shrugged, giving Birch a fleeting glance. "I'll be behind the hunter's den." She mumbled, quickly taking up a place behind the large den, curling her bushy tail around her bony haunches for even the slightest bit of extra comfort.

Frost nodded, comforted by her packtor's words. "I know. I just can't believe they're gone."
As Raksha called for Breeze, she trotted up to the hunter to also inspect her wound. "That looks bad. We can take care of it though, ya'know, just to make sure you're still the fastest runner around." She said, trying to lighten Raksha's mood. "Breeze, um, Marigold leaves would be better for this than chervil juice, right? Should I get willow bark to ease the pain?"

Shade watched her fidget around with the fish, then proceed to sit farther away from him. "I just... Was trying to introduce myself to another pack-mate? It's been... Ya'know, I wanted to try to cheer someone up." He said, frowning.
“Oh,” Blanket said. When she realized the dog had no ulterior motives, she decided to open up a bit, studying the way the current caused the elodea to sway.
“I guess I was pretty lucky. I didn’t come out with any debilitating injuries and I didn’t lose any family members. Not that I have many family members. It’s just me and Dust.” A minnow wriggled by, and her hackles raised instinctively. But it wasn’t worth catching.
“Did you lose anybody?” Blanket still didn’t know much about her fellow pack mates.

“Oh,” Blanket said. When she realized the dog had no ulterior motives, she decided to open up a bit, studying the way the current caused the elodea to sway.
“I guess I was pretty lucky. I didn’t come out with any debilitating injuries and I didn’t lose any family members. Not that I have many family members. It’s just me and Dust.” A minnow wriggled by, and her hackles raised instinctively. But it wasn’t worth catching.
“Did you lose anybody?” Blanket still didn’t know much about her fellow pack mates.
(*Legit forgets every Canyon character that died in the war*)
Shade watched the water rushing by, driven on by an unseen force. "Some friends, namely Sunrise and Rip-Tide." He murmured. "Thank Sirius that my sisters were okay." Two of them, at least. I guess I don't know what really happened to Dusk.

(*Legit forgets every Canyon character that died in the war*)
Shade watched the water rushing by, driven on by an unseen force. "Some friends, namely Sunrise and Rip-Tide." He murmured. "Thank Sirius that my sisters were okay." Two of them, at least. I guess I don't know what really happened to Dusk.
“Oh. That’s good,” Blanket said. She had never been the ‘I’m sorry for your loss’ type.
A fish wriggled by, and this time it was big enough to eat. The dog jumped into the water and snatched the fish before sliding out and placing it on the rapidly accumulating pile.
That’s not bad at all.

@HeavensHens88

"Willow bark's a good idea," Breeze responded distractedly from the herb storage room, completely fixated on only the task at paw. She returned on three paws and in the midst of aggressive chewing. Once she'd spat her pulverized concoction onto a clean broadleaf, she nudged it toward Frost. "There's your marigold. And dried oak leaf is mixed in too, since the infection's already raging." She then offered a scattering of curled bark shavings to Raksha on her overturned paw. "Eat that. And how do you feel otherwise? Any headace? Dizziness?"

Back
Top Bottom