A latch mystery

DonyaQuick

Songster
Jun 22, 2021
Upstate NY (Otsego county), USA
I have a run extension that only gets used during the daytime. It has a latch like this. I only put a lock on it if no one will be home for a bit so I can otherwise go in and out easily. I know it is not the most secure without a lock, but it is honestly fiddly enough for even me that I have not worried much about it during the day when I'm home, until now anyway. I am trying to figure out if I'm losing my mind thinking the chickens are opening it. I'm posting in predators & pests because I feel like there surely must be some other explanation. The latch is 3ft off the ground and I've had it for a year with no issues.

IMG_20221014_115947__01sm.jpg

THREE TIMES in a week I checked that the door was set tight by jiggling it like I always do, went back inside the house, and returned an hour or so later to find the door ajar by a very small amount - no more than an inch. I have a great pyrenes who stays in the house but sits by the window watching the chickens and never once barked. She knows not to bark at chickens but will bark at literally anything else, even an unexpected squirrel. She has never barked when these events must have happened. Also, despite the door being technically open, no chickens have ever been out and none have gone missing; they're all accounted for as if they didn't recognize that the door was open - which is odd, because if I don't get the door latched they immediately shove through and come charging out behind me. So I know if I don't get it latched by accident lol.

Now here's the most frustrating part: my husband set up a camera from our balcony pointed at the door to see who/what is doing this. I also put on a small carabiner through those holes on the bottom in case it was a predator. We figured if it was a predator, they'd surely come by again and the camera would catch it even if it couldn't open anything. I'm the only thing it recorded! But...the camera doesn't react to movement from INSIDE the run, only things on the outside. After days of just recording videos of me feeding the chickens, we gave up and took the camera down since we mainly use it to watch another spot in the woods for coyotes.

Of course, now the camera's gone, I forgot the carabiner exactly once today for about 30min and came out to...you guessed it, the door being open about 1". Once again, no chickens missing or escaped and nothing amiss. I think it has to be a resident of the enclosure doing this. There is no way an animal came through and did that with my dog staring out the window right at the door the whole time. She is also an excellent tracker and can't find anything amiss scent-wise around the coop.

Has anyone had a chicken learn to open these kinds of latches?? Obviously I will keep using the carabiner to try to stop this from happening even if it is a chicken doing it, but it is still so weird.

I don't know if this is helpful, but my chickens will jump at the door or the side of the run every morning if they think I'm late letting them out. Three feet is low enough that one of them could be kicking at it enough to open it but if the door is too heavy for them to push open they aren't getting out and giving up before you can catch them in the act. My chickens don't care if I catch them because they are just being obnoxious but I can see them doing something like this accidentally on purpose lol

If it's happening soon after you latch it, go inside and watch for a few minutes. Or, put the cam inside the run facing the gate.
That's a good idea but I think I'd need a different kind of camera for that. It would either get rapidly filled with videos being set off by constant chicken antics and/or it would probably miss the act of latch opening if it's fast (I don't think it's just brute force persistence...I never see anything suspicious and I watch the coop a lot). It's a trail cam type thing that is motion activated but then has a bit of delay before it starts recording - so while that would capture an approach from the outside, on the inside it's trickier. Maybe I can rig up a cheap streaming-capable web cam though to watch the same window the dog uses and then just keep an eye on it for a while one day.

I'm thinking it might just be your latch malfunctioning. I had a similar one that although seeming to be fully closed would pop back open sometime later. Make sure the latch is clean inside and that the hinge side of your gate is clear so that it's closing properly.

I'm thinking it might just be your latch malfunctioning. I had a similar one that although seeming to be fully closed would pop back open sometime later. Make sure the latch is clean inside and that the hinge side of your gate is clear so that it's closing properly.
I think I know the particular phenomenon you're meaning, but it's when the latches don't come down all the way or come down at a weird angle and aren't touching the bottom, and then sometimes one can then pop up when the door is pressed on. I don't think that's possible in the last couple cases of mine since I grabbed the door and jiggled it with quite a bit of force to make sure the latches were all the way down. I've tried fiddling with the door a lot in the last few days and I just can't reproduce an accidental opening with door-wiggling alone after I've done the tug test on the door, which is why I think something has to be at least deliberately messing with the vertical pieces even if not doing anything more.

I've realized now there is something that kind of coincides with the door opening randomly during the day: I have a cockerel called Monster who is enormous for his age and may have just gotten big enough to be doing this. He showed me today that with a tiny hop he can gently tug on my shirt in the middle of my back, which is plenty high enough. So, that boy is my prime suspect right now since he's also a pickpocket who likes to fiddle with things, I just haven't directly seen him show interest in the latch.

Maybe stand outside the run with some scratch in a tin and shake it, sprinkle a little on the ground and call the chickens. See if they try to open it to get to you.
That's every morning though 😂 a rumbling ball of feathers trying to beat down the walls to get to me. If I'm right about the suspect I just mentioned in my previous post though, he doesn't partake in that and so I'd never see him try it then - my gigantic pickpocket cockerel is so timid that he'll often just go stand in a corner and wait out the chaos. If it's him I'll just have to spy a lot and hope I catch him in the act.

Soooooo....I guess I should have just waited a few more days before declaring this a mystery. It's got to be my cockerels. I has to be. They obviously forgot I was right around the corner cleaning the coop this morning and decided it was a good time to mess with the door. Although I didn't see the actual act, I heard a loud CLANG and immediately looked over to see a swinging carabiner on the latch and both my cockerels standing right at the door - and then they promptly went running around in circles with their wings up having a grand old time. 🤦‍♀️

Soooooo....I guess I should have just waited a few more days before declaring this a mystery. It's got to be my cockerels. I has to be. They obviously forgot I was right around the corner cleaning the coop this morning and decided it was a good time to mess with the door. Although I didn't see the actual act, I heard a loud CLANG and immediately looked over to see a swinging carabiner on the latch and both my cockerels standing right at the door - and then they promptly went running around in circles with their wings up having a grand old time. 🤦‍♀️
Smart boys!

Back
Top Bottom