A litlle help here

creekmedic1034

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
We just got our chicks today and I noticed one has some manure on its wing from shipping, how should I go about removing it? Is it safe to get it wet using a rag?

So when I went to clean it off I realized it is part of the egg shell and egg contents. It is stuck on pretty good, is there anything else I can use?

Unless it's a big piece or handicapping the chick in someway I would leave it. It will come off on its own. If you just have to get it off then soaking it in warm water until softens is the way to go. You'll need to keep the chick warm while this is going on and don't let water get in its face.

Ok thank you, one more question the chicks seem to be pecking each other a lot. I had heard if it is too warm they will do that, but they are spread out like the temp comfortable.

Chickens don't have hands, but they do have beaks. Pecking at things is part of how they explore their world. Unless they are doing damage to each other I wouldn't worry about it.

Well since I have been asking for help I better share a picture...

We have four Buff Orpingtons and two Barred Plymouth Rocks. Our boys get attached to animals really quickly especially after naming, and so we have decided to wait a week or so before the naming ceremony, just in case something were to happen to one.

Back
Top Bottom