A little help? Is this a roo or pullet?

I am going to try to get hubs to put the nesting box up this weekend when he is off work. We were thinking of putting it under the roost area. Thoughts?
A nesting box under the roost area might get droppings on the top when the chickens are sleeping during the night. I would recommend placing it elsewhere, if you have the option. Also, I forgot to ask, is the pullet shown in the post dominant or more submissive? I am asking this because, while pullets do squat for humans when they are getting close to lay, the dominant ones most likely will not due to the fact that males will choose submissive hens for mating instead (this is because it is easier to breed them; and yes, this also means males will immediately go after the sick, injured, or generally weaker hens for breeding).

A nesting box under the roost area might get droppings on the top when the chickens are sleeping during the night. I would recommend placing it elsewhere, if you have the option. Also, I forgot to ask, is the pullet shown in the post dominant or more submissive? I am asking this because, while pullets do squat for humans when they are getting close to lay, the dominant ones most likely will not due to the fact that males will choose submissive hens for mating instead (this is because it is easier to breed them; and yes, this also means males will immediately go after the sick, injured, or generally weaker hens for breeding).
I haven't been in the coop yet today. I didn't get a chance yesterday bc it started pouring after we got home. I am hoping to go out later and check when I do their water and feed check. Hubs also bought them a watermelon quarter and some soldier fly larvae last night at the store. ❤️

Does a brood lamp for heat count as "light" for chickens? They do have a heat source bc it's been low 30s lately here and they are spoiled rotten.
Some lights stimulate them to lay, some don't, it depends on the intensity of the light and the color, along with when it is turned on and off. If anything, a brood lamp will be an annoyance to them. Chickens see in slow motion vision, so all lights flicker, and if the chickens suddenly get startled and fly they can accidentally burn themselves on the lamp. I would recommend getting something different. A heater would be good (but place it outside of the pen so no chicken has a risk of burning themselves on that as well).

I haven't been in the coop yet today. I didn't get a chance yesterday bc it started pouring after we got home. I am hoping to go out later and check when I do their water and feed check. Hubs also bought them a watermelon quarter last night at the store. ❤️

So Olivia doesn't submit. But Celestia seems too when I go to pet her? The others don't squat as much as she does when I pet her. No clue what it means. Lol. Celestia is my gorgeous Light Brahma.

Attachments

• 20240104_145816.jpg
    20240104_145816.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 5
Celestia doesn't look super close to laying, but I've never had Brahmas (yet!) I'm going to have some in March!!!!!! So you'll be able to help me with mine!

And hopefully I can send you some Christmas Grinch hatching eggs! 😃 ooh, if Grinch is a pullet, I should have some purebred Ameraucanas by then as well, so either a black or a white, but the chicks would for sure lay a shade of green or blue egg. 😄

The best way to get more chicken experience, is to get more chickens!

So Olivia doesn't submit. But Celestia seems too when I go to pet her? The others don't squat as much as she does when I pet her. No clue what it means. Lol. Celestia is my gorgeous Light Brahma.
Olivia sounds like she must be more dominant than the others.

She also is a decent red but when I hold her, she turns a pinkish orange in the face? I am so new to all things chicken
Their face can change colors depending on their emotion or what they are about to do. A chicken's face reddens more deeply right before she is going to lay, and their face might redden due to anger. Am I not sure what Celestia's face color when you pick her up might mean. Is she flighty or calm when being held?

Celestia doesn't look super close to laying, but I've never had Brahmas (yet!) I'm going to have some in March!!!!!! So you'll be able to help me with mine!

And hopefully I can send you some Christmas Grinch hatching eggs! 😃 ooh, if Grinch is a pullet, I should have some purebred Ameraucanas by then as well, so either a black or a white, but the chicks would for sure lay a shade of green or blue egg. 😄

The best way to get more chicken experience, is to get more chickens!
It's basically chicken math 😉 1 chicken and 4 more chickens mean 20 chickens total. 🤣

I really hope my Grinchy-boo is a pullet. If not what's your plan?

She is redder when not on me. That's what I find weird. When I hold her she seems to go pink/flesh color, and not red. She is relaxed af bc she is the cuddle bird or the bunch. I also think she is high on the pecking order so far? She stares others down etc. That or she is the beta 😆
Olivia sounds like she must be more dominant than the others.

Their face can change colors depending on their emotion or what they are about to do. A chicken's face reddens more deeply right before she is going to lay, and their face might redden due to anger. Am I not sure what Celestia's face color when you pick her up might mean. Is she flighty or calm when being held?
Calm as all get out. She lays down and hangs out. She will cuddle until you put her down unless she sees a watermelon or something she really wants to go do. I find it weird she bends down when I go to pet her. The others dont really bend down. Yet Celestia is up in rank so far. I get they are still establishing order though. Maybe she is more Beta energy? Olivia isn't acting like queen bee either. Idk. I'm new. I only know stuff by what I have read lol

Back
Top Bottom