a "little" help

nitro-nate

Hatching
Nov 2, 2015
I purchased one of the small 7 egg incubators from amazon. This makes my second attempt at a successful hatch but failed again. First time was with quail eggs, had 1 pip but it died in shell (was fully formed when cracked opened). The eggs had came from an outside source. This time I tried chicken eggs from my own flock. I candles at 1 week and all were developing and fertile. I candles again start of the 3rd week and all 4 eggs were dead (black runny masses). The temp of the room is constant 70 and the bator stays at 38C. Only thing I can think of is the humidity is too high or something. Any ideas or advice for the use of the smaller bators? Thanks

I purchased one of the small 7 egg incubators from amazon. This makes my second attempt at a successful hatch but failed again. First time was with quail eggs, had 1 pip but it died in shell (was fully formed when cracked opened). The eggs had came from an outside source. This time I tried chicken eggs from my own flock. I candles at 1 week and all were developing and fertile. I candles again start of the 3rd week and all 4 eggs were dead (black runny masses). The temp of the room is constant 70 and the bator stays at 38C. Only thing I can think of is the humidity is too high or something. Any ideas or advice for the use of the smaller bators? Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
What was your humidity during hatch and how often were you turning them? I know those bators are small, but do you have at least one checked/accurate thermometer inside?

Thermometer reads correctly don't knw humidity level, no hygrometer, but had to fill water reservoir every other day cause it'd go dry. Turned 3xs daily. Think its the humidity? If so how would a person control it or regulate it in such small quarters especially when it goes dry so quickly

Thermometer reads correctly don't knw humidity level, no hygrometer, but had to fill water reservoir every other day cause it'd go dry. Turned 3xs daily. Think its the humidity? If so how would a person control it or regulate it in such small quarters especially when it goes dry so quickly
Depending on what your incubator holds for humidity dry, you may be able to run dry and not worry about the water. Your best bet would be to get a small hygrometer like one that is used for reptiles, and before you put your eggs in next time, put the hygrometer in and see what your incubator is running at. If it stays above 25% (I aim for 30%) you can run dry and just monitor your air cells for growth. If there is no room to leave a hygrometer in with the eggs, you can at least get an idea and adjust according to the air cells. They will let you know if you need to higher it (add water) or lower it (take it out).

This might help you: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

My egg didn't make it. Eggtopsy pics posted. Fully formed no deformities. Egg sack didn't absorb. Pipped internally, head under wing correct position

My egg didn't make it. Eggtopsy pics posted. Fully formed no deformities. Egg sack didn't absorb. Pipped internally, head under wing correct position
I would venture to say that it would be humidity. If it had great development, and was strong to the internal pip, in the right position, probably about day 19 since the yolk was unabsorbed. Good chances that it if it had excess fluid in the shell and pipped internally, fluid would find it's way into the air cell and caused aspiration.

Back
Top Bottom